fuzzy red stuff

Discussion in 'Algae' started by saltyfish922, Feb 16, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

I looked through the archives and did not find a pic of this fuzzy red stuff anywhere...what is it?

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I have seen this at a LFS and they had a hell of a time getting rid of it. It is an algae of some sort. I think the finally solution was Turbo snails. But I will ask around

J

4. saltyfish922

saltyfish922 Feather Duster

turbos must be like gold! i will go pick some up today. tyvm! [smiley=wink3.gif]

5. Dep

Dep Plankton

[quote author=Jason McKenzie link=board=Algae;num=1108570252;start=0#1 date=02/16/05 at 11:58:55]I have seen this at a LFS and they had a hell of a time getting rid of it.  It is an algae of some sort.  I think the finally solution was Turbo snails.  But I will ask around

J[/quote]

I'm "they"... the LFS guy that Jason is talking about. Doh! ::)

Mexican Turbo snails devour that algae, most commonly called "red cotton ball algae." I had a battle with that stuff but once we found the cure with the snails it is easily dealt with.

There is another species of snail that eats it called Red Banded Turbo snails but without a latin name that is pretty usless... and I can't seem to find one for you right now.

The turbo's should work as long as they are the "Mexican" variety.

Hope that helps a bit.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Welcome Dep. Thanks for joining and the info. :)