Fungia Plate Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by BaxterS80, Aug 8, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I have a plate that has done very well for the past six months. I feed it weekly. I feed it at night to be sure the fish dont take the food and watch to be sure the shrimp don't take it. Any how, in the past week I have noticed a bit of skeleton around the mouth of the coral, about a 1/4 inch. What can i do..All of the other corals are doing great..Parameters seem to be in check,
    0 ammonia
    0 nitrites
    5ppm Nitrates
    ph 8.4
    SG 1.026
    Temp 79
    Lighting 8x54 T'5s

The coral is on the sandbed of our 72 bowed...

Any thoughts???

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I had the same thing happen to the three I had... I blamed it on my lighting and later I realized I had temp issues also..Mine were eating great right up until it started happening to me.. I ended up taking all three of mine back to my friends lfs.. 2 made it 1 didn't....

4. BaxterS80

What type of temp problems were you having?

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How do you feed it ? the one we have was given to us by a friend who was killing it really it was just a skeleton just a hint of flesh in the ridges Its never been fed the yr plus its been here and its looking really well , Many damage these corals trying to feed them I thik thats what happened with this one . Ever wounder who feeds them in the wild ? All this one gets is sediments from the sump when the mixing pumps come one at night and puts what many would remove back into the water column to be eaten as food. Everytime the guy comes by and see's it he just say's what was I doing wrong with it ?

6. BaxterS80

Hey Roger,
    Just lying a piece of krill or silverside near its mouth, about once a week...Any suggestions??

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have had mine for about a year now, it gets target fed about once a week and by that I mean I squirt
    some mysis or drop a piece of shrimp or some rods food in its general vicinity.

Never directly in or near the mouth though, heck that would take all the fun out of it. You know watching
    it move the food from the edge to the mouth with the little tentacles. And its doing really well!

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

Cool, yeah I do drop it near the edge myself....

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sorr for the late reply.. My temp was reaching 85 @ times... I added a sump with temp never getting over 80 and had much better results... Also my bulbs were getting old..... I don't know... They were in my 12 gal nano dx....