Fungal ?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by bernokarl, Feb 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

I think my hippo tang has this :::

Marine Fungus

Other Names: Ichthyophonus, CNS Disease

Symptoms: Darkening in color, sandpaper appearance of skin, poor appetite, listlessness.

Comments: This disease is usually associated with stress, sometimes brought on by poor water quality. This is not a very common disease and treatment is very difficult. The fungus is usually introduced into the tank when adding new animals.

Treatment: Treatment for this disease is difficult. Improve the environment and remove any possible causes of stress. Try a proprietary anti-fungal medication in a hospital tank. Food soaked in phenoxetol can also be effective if the fish is eating.

Prevention: Insure good water quality and temperature parameters to prevent animals from getting stressed. Stress breaks down the protective mucous coating on a fish and allows the fungus to gain a foothold. Additionally, any new fish should be given a short freshwater bath and kept in a quarantine tank for two to three weeks before being introduced into the main aquarium.

MY FISH EATS LIKE A PIG ...

1.CAN I TREET MY TANK WITH FUNGAL MEDICATION THAT HAS L,R ?

2.IS IT AS HARMFULL AS SOME OF THE ICH TREATMENTS ?

3.CAN I OD MY FISH WITH FUNGAL MEDICATION ?[/LEFT]

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

4. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

It's not ICH Ive been there and back .

The skin almost has a fine emery cloth look to it and the fish rubs /scratches on stuff , Eats very well and is all over the tank like it owns it .

Maybe it's all in my head and the fish is just flashing/showing off .

The skin just looks off to me :-/

If I treat for fungal can I treat everyone in the tank ?

5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

True fungal diseases are quite rare in saltwater fish (though they do happen)...could be something bacterial. You could try Melafix. It's all natural and shouldn't hurt the tank. But if it is something more serious Melafix may not work.

The flashing and scratching does sound typical of Ich.

Can you post a picture? Either of your fish or one you find online that has a similar look to it? that would help a lot.

6. bernokarl

bernokarl Astrea Snail

if its ich its a miracle the tank just came off copper treatment for 40 days 35 of those days the fish were clean .

Anyhow I suppose it's possible but unlikely ...

It almost looks like no slime coat on the fish to give it the shine and luster