Fuge won't fit through doors in cabinet????

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Reefnfish, Jan 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

The guy who put all those 2x4 flat for braces has not a clue about building or framing . To break a king stud it would take several thousands of PIS to snap or bow one. a 1x3 hard wood like found on all commercial stands like AGA's or a 2x4 yellow pine like I use to build mine . A 2x4 set in a king fashion being vertical you could run a truck along them . Now laying flat not going to happen thats why all floor joist and wall studs are set like they are and all rough door and window opening all have a 2x4 kiung stud on the top ..

For a simple example Take a diving board most use them the correct way laying flat to get the bow and spring bounce action Now try to bounce off of one set up vertically like a king stud is set LOL

2. Click Here!

3. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Tngster, that great info, how can we apply that to my cabinet so I don't go swimming when I cut out my side door? Help???? :eek:

4. Dr. Bergeron

Dr. Bergeron Peppermint Shrimp

As long as you're using the appropriate wood I could see this holding up. The bigger question is though, are you in a position to do-it-right with an aquarium perched on top of your workspace. Wouldn't want to see a nail crack the bottom of the aquarium while you're working under there.

I would at minimum reinforce the top and sides of the stand where you'll be cutting with extra braces *before* you begin any other cutting and make sure they're tight up against the current braces and supports.

5. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Copy that DR, I will brace and I'll be using a air fed nail gun. I am also going to use wood Elmer's wood glue. I will take some before and after pics of this to post. Hopefully i want be taking pictures of wet furniture and Carpet.....LOL :laughcry:

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have never found any need for more then a king 2x4 to hold any tank under 280 gals . Look up under that tank and see if you have a board ? if its a commercially build unit ? like all Glass or Ocanics ? there will be a vertical board about 1" wide by 3 " tall running from vertical support at either corner then look at the center brace there will be a notch to and bottom to allow that to be set in . Pry them apart most are simply stapled I then just knock them back in place with my hand palm and let it go as gravity suck and unless the tank raises up the center support will not go anywhere or you can put a screw top and bottom Like the link someone posted that stand is so easy to do I have done more then I can recall 2 or 3 here in Ct in the last couple of yrs . Is the stand home made ?

Buddy I doubt there is any need to cut the cabinet all up with a end door if you can post a photo of the underside of the cabinet and the center door beam I maybe cam tell you how its done to the letter .. As for a Nail gun LOL man talk about over kill people unless you understand building construction then its hard to explain but there are a hand full of 16 Pen common sinkers holding any vertical house wall up and together ..

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  7. colodan

colodan Fire Shrimp

let me start by saying that I don't think I would attempt this myself.I would drain the water and move the tank. but if that is not an option then you really need to brace it good, and the braces should stay after door is cut out as you are probably weakening the structure of the cabinet. I would build somthing like what I have drawn inside the cabinet. I'm not sure on the side boards if the should go all the way to the floor, or have the bottom 2x4 go across all the way. maybe tangster can help with this part.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Tangster,
    There is NO center brace on my cabinet and mine is Glass commercial built there are smaller 1x3 braces already in the corners but I was thinking adding the 2x4's just to satisfy my sense of security. I would like to have your input after I post some pics. I am at work right now but I will definately post pics at about 6:30 Eastern Daylight time today if you would please review....this is a big to do IMO. Thanks in advance, you too DR, Colodan,

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just P/M me after you post I'll see it in my e/m and log on and have a look see .. Its really not a huge deal .. Just don't let it stress you My old 180 set on a 2x4 only stand for 25 yrs and was moved 3 times and had over a 2,000 Lbs of rock in it never sagged a fraction . It was still rock solid when the guys hauled it out to fix the blown seal . I but the 90 stand all from 2x4's and nothing but the corner verticals on either tank stand not a vertical center brace anywhere , I built my 750 stand out of 2x6 and 4x4 verticals and 10 ft long spans I did add two center vertical on a header double 2x6in the very center on that .. But that had over 4 tons of rock in it . But it had 2. 3ft wide doors to make a 6ft opening up front .

11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I took a sawzall and cut my stand while the tank was full to fit my old fuge/sump.

12. Reefnfish

Reefnfish Plankton

Missionsix, what size tank did you sawzall, and where on the stand did you cut out from??????