Fuge set up question

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by buckey, Dec 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. buckey

buckey Plankton

I am setting up a 10G fuge and I have read some where in here that you should tee off of the return pump and have it run into the fuge?
    I am thinking of building it this way:
    I have an overflow from one of the corners of 55G tank that I could run right into the fuge. The inlet line to my fuge will have a gate/ball valve on it to control the amount of flow into the sump. I am going to put an outlet/overflow on the fuge that dumps right into the sump.
    Does this sound OK or is there a reason I should get the water from the return pump?

2. Click Here!

3. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

The way you are thinking of draining water into the fuge is the correct way IMO. However, instead of thinking of controlling the flow of water back into the sump, think of your valve as a way to control the flow into your fuge. Slow turn over in the fuge is better. 50-60 gal per hour thru a 10 gal fuge should be good.

Not knowing how your sump is set up, dump the water from the fuge into the return side of your sump.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You need to T off the OF that feeds the sump instead of the return pump. You want the dirty water to hit the fuge so it can do it's job. The return pump is returning water that your skimmer has hit. You have the right idea with the valve just T off the OF from your tank.

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

if your going to do it that way t off the drain from the main tank. if not, with one drain and putting a control valve on the drain will slow the overflow in the main tank and flood.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Put a Tee from the horizontal drain to sump and have the throat of the tee pointing down then add a valve in that take off line to control fuge feed rates as mentioned already But I'd add about 4 inches of sand and feed the flow at 10 gals per Hr or so.. Also when you add the feed pipe take it to the bottom and add 2 90's to U turn it back pointing up wards and feed it on the opposite end from the outlet. that forces all the slow perking water time to settle out solids and to pass the entire refugium.

7. buckey

buckey Plankton

To the three Einsteins of this website, and I mean that will the respect in the world.
    That is exactly what I was thinking, controling the flow into the fuge.
    I have to get this tank drilled and as soon as I get that done I will send ya'll pics.

Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Hey, Tangster has a good idea with the 2 90s. I have not done this and it makes a lot of sense. When I get a little time I will be doing this modification to my sump/fuge.

Thanks Tangster!

10. buckey

buckey Plankton

Update:
    I took my 10gallon tank to the LFS to have it drilled, my son works there. Well the owner drilled my tank and put a huge crack it down it! To me it is not that big of deal, little silicone and wammo, good as new. Hopefully. I also went to lowes and got the accessories to set up the over flow. I am going to take some snap shots of the set up when it is done for you guys to see.
    Tangster- got the 90s ready for the set up, great idea.

11. keats

keats Astrea Snail

Fuge??

Hi all
    Just exactly what is the purpose of a fuge
    and what is the best contents and also what has to be
    added and how often.?

12. Hoverman

Hoverman Astrea Snail

My understanding of a fuge or Refugium and i am new to this concept myself so take it for what it is worth, it serves several purposes.
    1. acts as a safe place for micro organisms to grow, that will eventualy make thier way into the display tank as an added natural food source.
    2. is a place to grow cheato or calurpa (spelling?) without it being eaten buy your fish, which you can then crop and feed portions to your leaf eaters.
    3. acts as an added natural filtration for nitrates (if the right plants are in there).