Fuge into Pipefish Home?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by wasitgreen, Jul 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

I read that the refugium is a safe place of the tank, generally used for high maintenance and/or delicate species. I know this before but the way it was worded made me think if it would be possible, with proper modifications, to turn my 35gal fuge into a Pipefish or maybe even a Seahorse tank, or at least a picofish-ecosystem with a Pipefish or 2 in it? I was already going to put some mesh over/under the baffles, I read they like to hide in/around macroalgae and mangroves, and flow shouldn't be too fast except for maybe the top (baffles are pretty high @ ~2/3 of the way up). If I can make sure water is stable for a few months with little water flow except at the top, will it work or is there a reason I have not seen such a thing before?

2. Click Here!

3. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have never had them but it sounds ok. Anyone else?

4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

I always keep hard fish in my fuge before introduction to the DT. The small tank with ample food ensures that they have the best chance for survival. Additionally it is much easier to teach them to eat frozen foods.
    I have kept a few pipefish in my fuge successfully for extended periods of time without any adverse effects on the reef... In fact, I now prefer to keep them in there as opposed to the DT.

5. wasitgreen

Ok, anything special that needs to be done in there for them?

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Well, usually the fuge is where people provide a safe place for pods so the can breed, not get eaten, and migrate to the DT through the return pump. It wouldn't be safe for the pods with pod-eaters like pipefish and seahorses in there. If you don't care about it as a place for pods, it would be perfect for seahorses & pipefish I would think.

7. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Exactly. lol But you will want some really low flow... Otherwise they will get blown around like crazy. Really cool fish but they are very delicate.

8. Click Here!

9. wasitgreen

Ok thanks, I made a separate "mini-fuge" for chaeto just in case, and it looks like I got lucky making it. Any particular pipefish that would be best? (ie good swimmer, just in case)

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I believe Dragonface are the biggest ad strongest swimmers. PM barbianj for more info. He keeps them in a 120 reef I believe?

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

The easiest and prettiest species that we have kept is the Janss'. They take to frozen pretty well and are decently hardy. A gulf pipe is also very hardy. I use to collect those by the 100s as a bycatch.... what a pain that was.

So, as far as beginner pipes go... the Gulf pipe or the Janss, IME.

12. wasitgreen

Would one/two Janss' or Dragonface be fine in a water area of 17"x11"x11 1/2" (LxWxH) at least if they are small? Unless they are fast growers I guess.