Fuge flow

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Ddubya, Jan 30, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Ok so I have an external fuge I setup consisting of 30 gal breeder,and I had a spare boostled mu135 led fixture im using as the light,should grow my macros fast. My question is this the MT is 120 gals,30 gal sump,30 gal fuge, is 200 gph enough flow into the fuge to properly do it's job?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Many schools of thought on the subject. I prefer to go real slow – I grow a variety of macro’s, many of which do not want to be blasted by flow. So I perk 10% of my total volume through the refugium per hour, no more.

Many people like to grow cheato – this thrives with a higher rate of flow. But again, just my opinion – slower works the best. With a slow flow the refugium is truly a refuge, a safe haven for pods. This will keep your tank well feed. What Macro’s did you have in mind?

As for your 200 GPH, I’d say this is middle of the road and should work fine. Best advice would be to tell you to tinker with it. But you need to wait a month or two before you increase or decrease the flow – you will see grow change and perhaps your water parameters improve (if you are installing this for a specific issue).

4. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I run my fuge with very low flow also , like CrimsonGhost said 200gph should be fine just keep an eye on it and adjust it as necessary.

5. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

doing it for chaeto,dragons breath,extra surplus of pods,and just some more volume,thats why I went with a 30 breeder. And the nutrient export couldnt hurt.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

To add to the first two replies, if your flow is too high, too much water will be returned to the DT without being filtered/processed, which defeats the purpose of having the sump/fuge.

7. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

so 200gph is probably abit much? Would 100 be more reasonable? or less

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

100 should be safe. Thats what I am running in my current setup which is 225 gallons.

10. Ddubya

Ddubya Skunk Shrimp

Ok i'll try that I just got it running yesterday, it was in my 30 gal sump, but wanted to go bigger ( my anthias love to be fed) for more nutrient export.

11. Frank A.

Frank A. Plankton

I have a question,if all the water in the DT and in the sump and fuge have the same amount of nutrients and this macro and cheato have this water surrounding it,how is the water not processed? It's not like the algae has to absorb all the nutrients before they are pumped back up to the main tank or that the water in the sump and etc. is never renewed.The algae absorbs a little at a time all day long. Please let me know where I'm wrong.

Thanks,

Frank A.