fuge first??

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by IceDragon, Apr 17, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

okas i have my fuge built but it is going to tak about 2-2.5 months t accumulate the funds need to buy my tank skimmer and stand ... is it possible to get the fuge up befor the main tank so i can get my mirco organism going strong and get a little salt experience first?

if so what all do i need to do this and what pitfalls should i watch for?

2. Click Here!

3. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

If you are handy with tools I would build my own stand and hood.
    If interested all of us can assist you with info to do it.

If you have a small power head to move the water then yes start the refugium and buy some algae from LFS and that should supply some small critters for it.

4. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

hmm .... i was planning to but the all Glass rod iron stand (48X18 for 84.91 USD) so i can see my tank and refugium at the same time and my uncle's light clamp on to the tank so i was planning om running toppless till i had something that could get out... but by all means if i can build a stand that will let me see both for less i will do it in a heart beat (pluss it will keep me busy).

i am fairly skilled with hand tool but i have limited access to power tools :(

btw i was figuring on one bag dry arginate sand and one bag natures ocean wet LS to seed it and about 3-5 lbs of uncured figi for the refugium ... does this sound reasonable?

also what kind of alge do you recommend?

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Hope this is not in a bedroom as you will never get any sleep.

It really does not matter which LR you use just that it be porous. You rally don't need alot of sand or LS. get some cheap southdown sand.

What does your LFS have for algae? Mine always floats to the top. I have the grape kind.

6. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

yeah i am planning to put this in my bed room ... hope i dount regrett it later, i figgured the 3 FW tanks and the 1980s AC unit i have would be louder than my sant tank ... i have listen to my uncles tank and it is VERY quite.

not sure on the algae selection yet, but i will call tomorrow

btw is the algae you refer to a true algea or are you refer to the denitrify plants ppl put in the fuge?

7. IceDragon

IceDragon Bristle Worm

okay my bad .... i thought the alge you where refering to was a plant ... reading the artical in TFH magizine from june 03 help me figure that out last night ... i had already checked is out with my LFS ... they have grape and 2 different bladed varieties

if this fuge is running for a while befor i get rest up ... do i need to feed it or just keep it lit?

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I have the mini grape caulerpa.

10. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

do u have to keep the lights on 24/7 w/ grape calpura.

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I keep my 18 watt light on 24/7 for my feather caulerpa.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Craig,

I am planning a 'fuge soon for a new tank. Is there any benefit in lighting the 'fuge on a reverse cycle to the main tank?

John