frozen squid food

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nemo79, May 16, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

Does anyone feed frozen squid food? Is there any benefits, I already feed mysis, brine, and spirulina flake but I was thinking of giving something new for a treat.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

You know fish...they'll eat just about anything so if you're willing to put the squid through a blender of chop it up real fine, go for it. Some of your corals might enjoy it as well. Save yourself some money though and buy your squid from a bait store or sea food market rather than from the fish store.

4. mad_kangaroo

mad_kangaroo Astrea Snail

I am feeding my anemones a diet of brine shrimp and squid, they seem to like the squid better. I get mine whole at the local supermarket, clean em, chop em and freeze em. $2.99/lb as opposed to the 6.99 for a small ( < 1lb) pkg at the lfs. If your curious how to clean em, chop off the head, pop out the little eye ball looking thing from the head, pull out the "needle" from inside the body cavity and rinse. Thats all there is to it. Be careful not to puncture the "eye" when chopping. =0 )

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Quick question. Amcarrig, I have never bought food for my fish from a bait store so I have no idea, but have you ever had a problem with freshness? I really doubt there is much of a difference besides packaging, but I do not know.

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Anemones and Sea Stars with eels consuming it as well!

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I suppose that the degree of freshness of the store's squid will depend on how successful the bait shop is :) If they move the stuff fast then it'll be fresher than a store that doesn't sell it as quickly. I'm afraid that the only way to know for sure is to do a sniff test :-X

8. Click Here!

9. nemo79

nemo79 Zoanthid

squid

Oh I plan on buying it at my fish store. The smell of squid makes me sick so cleaning it is out of the question.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

11. SuperScro

SuperScro Flamingo Tongue

I fed my Clown Goby squid but he didn't have much of an interest. However that was when he was a picky eater, only eating certain pieces of food and occasionalyl spitting it out. Now its different so I might try feeding him it again. You can feed krill too, my fish like that. Variety is the best way to go.