frozen or dried?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by billielewis3, Jan 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i have 2 clown fish, one starry blenny, 3 three stripped damsels, and one cleaner shrimp in my 90, my bioload is wicked small.

right now all they are gettin is Ocean nutrition prime reef flakes and H2ocean reef caviar.

I would like to start feeding Ocean Nurtion formula one and two RDF, switching between one and two every other day.

my questions are :

1. Whats the pros/con for frozen/flakes other than cost?
    2. What should i add to feed my frog spawn?
    3. i have a clam that roughly 4.5 in., Do they eat anything, if so what?

ive read atricals about frozen food clouding up the water but i have a pretty beefy protien skimmer that im pretty sure can handle removing the couldyness.

-billie

2. Click Here!

3. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Billie, for question 1, your are doing fine feeding them those two items are great. Personally I believe cost is they only pro with the flakes you are using no cons. Some have unneeded additives though so I would stay with Ocean Nutrition. On number 2, I feed oyster eggs, Kent Phytoplex, and Kent Zooplex. For three, clams are primarily a photosynthetic organism as they survive off of the algae that live in their mantles. They are also filter feeders so when you feed your corals the food you give the hammer will suffice.

4. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

i just find that most of the flakes end up in my filersock. they dont weigh enuff to sink fast enough for the fish to eat it before it flows down the overflow, witht the frozen food, it all falls pretty fast, thats why i want to switch.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

I feed primarily frozen foods with no problem. One note- find a fine mesh net and rinse the food. Most of the PO4 and NO3 are in the processing fluids and preservatives.

6. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

You can crush them up small and then add a few drops of RODI then they will sink before the overflow can grab them. Also, turn the return off during the feed and then you wont end up with this problem at all, give the fish five minutes to eat and then turn it back on. Before you turn it on though use one of your fish nets and get the majority of the leftovers out first as the net is a lot easier to clean then the socks.

7. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

thanks for the input!