From Bio balls to Live rock???

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by CowboyUp, Dec 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I need a little assistance please. I am currently running a wet/dry sump with bio balls. I've heard and read that for an astablished reef/fish tank it's a good idea to remove the bio balls and replace them with live rock. The tank has been up and running fine for about two years now. Here's the question: when I put the live rock into the sump, does it have to be completely submerged? Will it be okay half submerged and the water trickles down over the top of all of it? Will I now have to "light" up my sump since it will contain LR? Thanks for any and all help,

John;D

2. Click Here!

3. markthereefman

markthereefman Astrea Snail

bio balls to live rock

hi there if this is any use to u i have done exactly the same on my filter.
    i have a turboflotor 1000 which returns through a wet and dry bactoball chamber. i crushed up and rinsed some live rock into smalll chunks an then threw away the plastic nitrate producers.
    the liverock is very efficient in removing ammonia and nitrite and does well inthe wet and dry setup.
    no lighting is required.
    the advantages are that nitrates get consumed rather than produced (i have tested and found nitrate leaving the trickle tower is less than the main tank)
    also the rock does not need cleaning periodicaly compared to bactoballs which accumulate detritus.
    i confirme that my lfs also use live rock in their trickle towers to good effect
    http://www.fantasea.co.uk/
    give em a ring and they will confirm.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2005
  4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I think the LR should be ok if it's kept moist, which the trickle effect should take care of, but I would feel safer if they were submerged. I was actually thinking of upgrading my bale to LR, with maybe some algea on it.

5. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Don't understand.

I will not pretend to understand the idea of LR in a trickle filter. Trickle filters oxygenate, which assists in the conversion of ammonia to nitrites and nitrites to nitrates. Nitrate reduction requires an anaerobic environment. This would not be aquired in a LR trickle filter. Large pieces of LR might work but I would think they would work better if they were not in an oxygen rich environment which defeats the purpose (as in an aquarium.)
    As you have probably discerned, I still use bioballs. Someone enlighten me?

Life is a STD.

Live long and prosper.;D

6. pmanzi

pmanzi Astrea Snail

I have been told I should do this to my tank as well, but it has only been up for 5 months, is that established enough? Also does the live rock need to be in the sump or does having it in the tank provide the same results?

Thanks

7. markthereefman

markthereefman Astrea Snail

Yea You Are Correct But Inside The Bits Of Live Rock Are Still Anaerobic I Have Tested The Output And Can Confirn Nitrate Is Being Utilised .

8. Click Here!

9. DaxAlbrecht

DaxAlbrecht Plankton

Even small pieces of live rock contain anaerobic areas. It is becuase the rock is so porous that it can function as both an aerobic and an anaerobic filter; aerobic conditions exsist on the surface and larger pores, anaerobic conditions exists within the smaller pores.

10. Big_Wally_B

Big_Wally_B Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

?

I cannot argue. I can only question and point out, from coil denitrators, that it takes many tens of feet of coils and relatively low flow rates to get anaerobic water. I cannot picture how that can happen with "pebbles". I can see it happening with larger rocks. JMO.

If it works for you, thats all that matters.

11. sbcooper3

sbcooper3 Plankton

I have a 55 gal tank with about 60 pounds of LR. I am a college study so my filtration is the only one I could afford, two hang-on topfin 60s from petsmart. My local fish store told me that the hang-ons are actually hurting my tank (producing excess nitrate), as in remove them. He did not tell me to get a sump or a skimmer (which I will do when I move to go to Grad School in August). Does anyone think this would have adverse effects on my tank. My largest concern is where would the Oxygen come from? Feel free to use chemical explanations if need be.

12. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Is the tank suffering now at the present time from high nitrates ? and if it is what levels are they running at ?