Frogspawn won't open?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by davidkaleko, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Ah, that makes sense now. Sorry for my confusion :) It seems like the frogspawn isn't opening either because your tank is too young or the coral may have been damaged from the time it was taken out of the lfs tank to the time it was placed in yours. Hopefully, it'll recover for you!

2. Click Here!

3. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

Frogspawns are definitely a finicky animal! As mentioned above I would agree that they are very sensitive to being handled – Gloves are a good idea.
    I currently have two frogspawns in a 90g, both are doing excellent with strong lighting and moderate random current. So I guess lighting and placement will depend on your animal and tank conditions; but I would also recommend low lighting and low current to start with.
    Both of my frogspawns were fully open within 24 hours of being placed in my tank, but my tank was over a year old at the time.

4. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

Thanks everyone! The Frogspawn is officially dead :-\

I'll have to pick a different coral to be the first in my tank :(

5. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

do you have a refractometer to test your SG and Salinity? If those are to high or to low then your frogspawn will look like that and die and sorry but i doubt you are getting massive coralline algae growth already after only 5 weeks....

6. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

I really am. Everything is turning bright purple and it won't scrape off unless I use a razor blade or something. Also, I'm getting a lot of bright green algae that won't scrape off, but I think this is turning purple.

7. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Wow, that was was fast. Sorry to hear that.

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Huh? I always have nitrates, and my tank is cycled. Nearly everyone I know has some nitrates in their system. Maybe low, but they exist.

That's what I've read (and experienced)