Frogspawn won't open?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by davidkaleko, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. davidkaleko

davidkaleko Flamingo Tongue

Dear Readers --

Yesterday I bought a frogspawn coral frag from the LFS, it's my first coral. I secured the base to a rock yesterday (about 24 hrs ago), and it still hasn't opened up. I'll attach some pictures too.

My water params are:
    Nitrite = 0
    pH = 8.2
    Temp = 78-81F
    Nitrate = 5.0
    Ammonia = 0

My lighting is are one 65W actinic and one 65W 10,000K power compact bulbs. I have no option of upgrading to t-5 or MH.

I have two powerheads, and the frogspawn is in a good flow area but is definitely not bombarded directly by a powerhead.

Any ideas? Maybe this is normal?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

It is normal for frogspawn to really tuck into the coral skeleton that it's on, it may take a while to adjust to your tank. You may have to adjust the flow, too, it should be swaying in a nice breeze, not whipping, which it doesn't sound like it's whipping from your description. Just watch to see that it doesn't turn gray and shrivel but it can really retract and still come out fine. I'd just watch it for now

4. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

I agree, usually takes a few days for LPS's to extend their tentacles after being moved to a new tank.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

HMMM???? I would be concerned a few hours after acclimation if it still looked like the ones pictured?
    David, can you tell us more info on acclimation process and more about your set-up? Maybe try poking through here and see if anything catches your eye?
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/asap/asap-please-start-here-54456.html

6. davidkaleko

More info:

Acclimation was floating for 30 mins and then taking out 10ml water/putting in 10mL my water every 5 mins for the next half hour. Tank is 30gal, 5 weeks old (fully cycled, even getting lots of purple coralline).

I'll be back by the tank in a few hours and I'll post more pictures. As I left my house this morning, though, it looked pretty damn dead.

What did I do wrong? :(

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If you still have nitrates, your tank isn't fully cycled. I'm guessing your nitrates may be part of the problem.

8. Click Here!

9. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

What level is your salinity?

10. davidkaleko

11. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

It looks like there is a small area of separation from the skeleton. Possibly damage from transport. They are very easy to damage, I've done it twice in a row now. If you have not already, do an iodine dip and watch for brown patches forming around the crown. I would also put it in an area of VERY low flow for now.

12. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Frogspawn will do best if you can give it high light and not too strong of a current. Is it extending at night? If its extending trying feeding it (go with brine if you can)

After reading Annicks post I assume this is a new tank? If so I wouldn’t suggest a coral like this one – this is not a beginner coral. Do you dose Strontium ?

What is your PH, CA and ALK ?