Frogspawn releasing tips... Any advice??

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Fishinfool, Mar 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

For the last week my frogspawn has been releasing small tips. Is this normal? At first I thought my clowns were biting it but they stay away from it. It is getting medium flow right now. I need some help/advice!!
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Listing exact water parameters (not 'good' or 'excellent' but actual test results), lighting and flow, and how long your tanks been up and running will greatly help us help you.:)

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

My clowns get mad at eachother sometimes or stung the wrong way and they will bite off frogspawn tips. Then I just see a fluorescent green thing floating around until I realize its a frogspawn tip. I had an old picture that showed my black clown in the midst of biting into a tentacle. Mine host the frogspawn though.

5. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

Thanks. My parameters are all on point. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 KH 140 PH 8.3 calcium 420 salinity 1.024
    I have a biocube 29 and I have two 36 watt 420 atinic and 2 36 watt 10000k with 3 blue lunar & 1 white LED. I have the stock 295 gph pump and the frogspawn is in medium flow. The tank has been setup for 3 months now with no problems. I hope this helps you help me!

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

its possible , it could be unhappy with the flow. can you get it to a area of a bit less flow? how long have you had the spawn? if its recent , sometimes 1st pacements arent to the corals liking.

7. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

How much flow do you have on yours? I have read that a lot of people have them in very high flow areas with no problems. The frogspawn has been in my tank for about three weeks. The LFS where I got the frag had it under a high flow powerhead.

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

dont frogspawn "drop" parts of their heads as a method of reproduction? not sure on that one though?

1 person likes this.
  10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

can you have a crab or some other pest in there that is eating them?
    I have trumpet corals who is loosing their tops also and I think we have it narrowed down to this one gigantic crab that I saw one night and could not identify! It was gynermous (and that is pretty big). It had the body of an emerald crab but was not, and was at least 3x as big as a large emerald crab. The trumpets look like someone took scissors to the polyps at the base and just snipped them off...I have little tops floating around the tank.

Yours could be from the flow, might want to direct the flow a little bit different. Are you seeing anymore skeleton?

11. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

is the coral fairly new??? if so it could be the handling of the lfs when sold. if the frogspawn is not deflated when pulled from the water the excess weight/gravity will weken and damage the tentacles. just a thought

12. Fishinfool

Fishinfool Plankton

The coral came from my LFS and they have had a large colony I finally talked them into fraging for me. I did not really see is the tenticles were deflated or not when they lifted it and bagged it. The Skelton has not exposed itself anymore on the branch that is doing this. The crabs I have are all small blue legged hermits, no large crabs. Nothing seems to be messing with it at all. My water parameters are all perfect. I will adjust the flow to see if this helps. I have collected all of the detached tips and I put them in a shallow hole with my pipette. I have heard of frogspawn self propagating but usually the whole head comes off.