frogspawn question

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by billy31422, Oct 21, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billy31422

billy31422 Feather Duster

does anyone know how fast branching frogspawn should grow. mine seems to be happy. it is open most of the time. i might have a little too much flow on it. but it doesnt seem to be growing. it is under a 250w 10k metal halide so i know its getting enough light. i have a calcium drip also so i shoud be ok there. any info will be great. thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

a friend of mine has some of that in his reef, hes had it some branchers for about 3 years, they have grown alot since he got them...but imo they hae growth spurts then nothing lol...like one day i went buy and was amazed at how big they got, good luck :)

1 person likes this.
  4. billy31422

thanks again bruce. another question is. i have tried to feed it brine shrimp but never have any luck because the fish get it before the frogspawn can get it in. i have read that feeding them every once in a while will help. should i try harder to feed it?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

um well somthing that you might try is to feed the fish brine shrimp first, then when the feeder tenticles of the coral come out try to direct feed it :)

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, I have never seen any feeder tentacles come off my frogspawn. I have tried feeding mine, but it never seems to take food. Brine shrimp is like cheese puffs to us. Not really nutritional. Try some other foods like frozen mysis or cyclopeeze. I will squirt a shot of this into each of my frogs, but, I don't get a feeding response from it like I do from other LPS corals.

Mine has branched several times in the year I have had it. It did seem to do so more quickly when I first got it, and now it is a little slow - but I have been having alkalinity issues.

Be sure your alkalinity is around 11-12 dKH and your calcium is around 400, that should provide for better growth. Specific gravity should be around 1.026 as well. :)

Hope this helps a bit...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

well i guess i shoulnt call them feeder tenticles, my friends (when hungry) stretches out its tenticles for the food :).

8. Click Here!

9. billy31422

i've tried direct feeding it. it doesnt get the food in quick enough. the fish always find it and steal it.

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I can get 5-6 new branches every 3 months.
    I do feed mine Mysis and always after the fish are full. I use a pippet to feed everything so I squirt in into the FP and in minutes its gone.
    At first it really didn't want it, but over time it learned to eat like a pig

J

11. billy31422

thats cool. how many branches do you have to start with.

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

About 3 branches. I think it's the oldest coral in my tank I got it right after the cycle was complete. I now have about 10 heads in my 75G and 8 in my 40G.