Frogspawn not fully opening?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by MrAnderson, Aug 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrAnderson

MrAnderson Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Any ideas on why frogspawn will not fully open? Color is still good. Mid placement in tank with adequate flow. Pcf lights. Two sexy shrimp are using frogspawn as their host. Could they be irritating it?

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

It is probably the sexy shrimp. Some have even been know to eat LPS.

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

has it been open and fine before today?

mine about every other month or so wont open fully for a day or so then its fine the next day.

5. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

I had a pair of peppermint shrimp attempt to eat my frogspawn when i first got it. So likely the shrimp. Also frogspawn aren't huge fans of things touching or being too close to them so the sexy shrimp being in such close 'hosting' quarters they might be agitating it so it doesn't want to open.

6. MrAnderson

Thanks for the input everyone.

The Frogspawn was opening fully even with sexies on it prior to a few days ago. Checking parameters later today

7. MrAnderson

Sorry it took me so long to post. Heres what i have as of today! Ammonia 0.50ppm, 0 nitrate, 0 nitrite, 8.4 ph. I do not yet have a test kit for trace elements. I know i need one. I just did a 10% wc today and a 10% yesterday. Did total algae scrub of tank and added 5lbs sand to have a sandbed of about 2.5 to 3 inches. Hopefully frogspawn will open up after ammonia spike decreases and everything settles!

8. Click Here!

9. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Oh ouch why is there ammonia? How old is your tank? Did you add slot of animals at once? Corals don't like ammonia at all (it burnsz zhem masas it burnszes 'em) it's a small ammount but still no bueno. My frogspawn was retracted mostly for max three days but it was also severly brutilized by shrimp, you could still see it but it barely inflated. They like many fleshy corals don't like to be touched but some don't mind.

Has there been any improvement?

10. MrAnderson

While cleaning the tank i found a dead cerith which may have caused the ammonia spike. Now ammonia is 0 ppm. Frogspawn is opening a little more but still retracted compared to a few weeks ago. I also have a slight problem with cyano algae touching the frogspawn which i know it hates. I need to test my phosphates.

11. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

be sure to test magnesium as well as calcium and alkalinity. LPS corals are touchy about magnesium at times. It may be too much light too if it's mid tank. I had to move mine to a corner and lower for it to extend. Just keep your eye on it.

12. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

my frogspawn enjoys almost zero flow if it gets to much it gets pissed off