frogspawn losing color

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by caliwavsurfer, Aug 11, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. caliwavsurfer

caliwavsurfer Astrea Snail

my father has a few frogspawns in his aquarium which are all slowly dissappearing and losing their color ( they were a nice dark green and are now very see-through). The arms are still dully extended....what could this be. Like anemones, i assume that the light absorping cells in the organism are not getting enough light? Parameters are fine and temperature remains constant. He only has 4 65watt 48 inch t5 bulbs though....but since the frogspwan sit realatively close to the lights that shouldnt be a problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

What exactly do you mean by disappearing? If it is still fully extended and looking otherwise healthy I would say that it is actually a good thing. When I had a bad case of a brown colored algae my frogspawn turned a little brown, now that things are getting cleaner the frogspawn is lighter and more transparent.

If you could post a pic it would probably help a lot.

4. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

Pictures would really help out.

5. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

we need some pics and water conditions to make any kind of answer for you how old is the tank, what are you feeding the coral, so forth.

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Where would you say they are in over all tank placement? low, med, high? How long have they been in the tank and have you changed bulbs or placment lately? How old are the bulbs? Old bulbs can potentially have that effect.

You say they are relatively close, so I will assume that means they are up high. In that case it could be they are bleaching from the lights, and you should consider moving them down some.

7. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

X2 on moving it down, mine looked pale even though it was growing like crazy. Moved it to the bottom and coloration improved greatly. Doesn't grow as fast tho.

Sent from my Evo

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

It actually can be a problem, the frogspawn could be bleaching from too much light. Try moving it down to a lower position in your tank.

10. caliwavsurfer

thanks for th input...when he got the coral they were grwoing like crazy in the same area. The lights at that time were 3 months old. The lights were changed after a 14 month period, but the syptoms were already showing before the switch. As for conditions: ph is 8.1, temp is 78, nitrite and nitrate are 0, phospate is 0, salinity is 1.025, and calcium is 430 ppm. frogspawn bleached? - Reef Central Online Community

11. lynnmw1208

lynnmw1208 Skunk Shrimp

after seeing that picture I would say it looks like it's getting too much light. I had the same issue with a similar type of frogspawn. I moved it lower and a more shaded spot and now it's growing and got it's color back.

Also what is your alkalinity and magnesium? LPS corals are touchy if the magnesium is low. I keep mine around 1400 and alk around 9-10

12. caliwavsurfer

I have no idea what the magnesium and alkalinity levels are nor do I have the instruments/test kits to measure them