Frogspawn Coral Flow

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by gabbagabbawill, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I just recently added a frogspawn coral, and I find that their need for "very little flow" contradicts most reef tank's desire to have MEGA-flow. I have so much flow in my tank that finding a low-flow area for it has proven to be difficult. Also, the frogspawn polyps are somewhat extended, (~2"), but not as extended (~3-4") as they were in the LFS. Will it just take time, or is my flow too much? Or could it be something else?

Salinity: 1.025
    Alk: 10 dkH
    Calcium: 470
    NO3-: 10
    NO2-: 0
    NH3-: 0
    Mg: 1500
    6x54W T5 fixture

2. Click Here!

3. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

I have my frogspawn in a low flow area but it gets short blasts of water from a nearby powerhead and it has extended and puffed out more than ever for me.

4. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

Mine is in a fairly good flow and loves it. I tried moving it to a lower flow area once and it didn't extend or puff up nearly as good. I moved it back to the high flow area and it has been doing great ever since.

5. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Ditto for me. I think that they can tolerate the occasional blast so long as they aren't in it all the time. I have a torch coral that likes the same conditions.

Have you tried pointing your powerheads at each other to randomize your current?

I know it can be a pain to align the powerheads correctly. I will have mine just perfect, and then I will accidentally bump one when I'm doing something in my tank and the slight nudge will totally change the currents.

6. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

its the flow..they need minimal.its hard to find a low flow area in our tanks now a days,cuz its all about "reef" environment.i solved this issue by using a wave maker. it has a program that alternates the currents from calm to turbulent.since using this the polyp extension has improved a lot.. even when its in the high flow part of the program

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

O.k. Let's address this. Your parameters look great. I'm thinking more of lighting than flow. What was the FS under at the LFS? Every animal is unique unto itself. Now, the LFS may not have had their Mag at 1500 either. There are a host of reasons why coral will sometimes struggle in our tanks after introducing them. If you have had it under 2 weeks, I would then say wait it out. As long as it is extending its' polyps and not receding I would say it's fine. Mine is in good flow (turbulent, intermittent) and high in the tank. It isn't extended quite like in the LFS as they had it stuck in a deep sand bed, nevertheless, it extends and is full.
    Here is a pic to compare;

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. DanKistner

DanKistner Coral Banded Shrimp

That's what I have, I have 2 Koralias at opposite ends of the tank pointing at each other and I have a 3rd PH on the back wall and with these flows randomizing around, the Frogspawn gets random bursts of flow.

10. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I read all the low to med light and flow stuff. Started mine on the sand bed in low flow with a 4x54w t5 over my 55. It open up, but not as much as it did at the store. So I moved it about half way up the tank for more light, and it gets a lot more flow. It seems to love this. Extends all the way and is looking great. So maybe try moving it.

1 person likes this.
  11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I've only had the coral in there for 2 days, so I guess I should wait a week and see... I will experiment with placement... Right now I'd say it's about 2/3 down in a 24" tank (16" from surface). Will it stress it too much to move it around?? should I just let it stay where it is for a while and allow it to become acclimated?

thanks!

Will

12. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Leave it alone for now to acclimate.