Frog

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Peredhil, Oct 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Hi folks. I've got an (I believe) Albino African Clawed Frog. Little critter bought from Wal-Mart a couple of years ago.

Wife loves frogs and she loves this frog.

Anyway, as far as I've seen over the years, there is nothing at all that you can put in a tank with one of these. It will eat anything. Or kill anything.

So I can't get anything in there so far to clean.

I need cleaning suggestions other than constantly sticking my hand in there to clean the tank for the family.

Typical freshwater algae growth, etc. on substrate and walls.

EDIT: tank is about 3 or 4 gallons, I don't remember. It's an Aqua-Tec setup from Wal-Mart.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

If you did a bigger tank, and put an internal submersible filter in there, that should help out a little big.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yea there isn't anything that they wont eat. i think they are banned in a bunch of states because people let them go in the wild

5. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Never did update this. I ended up adding 2 golden apple snails.

WOW. That's all I did. And now it's sparkly clean. They can close up real tight - and they do, everytime the hostile frog goes after them. They are very fast and very fun to watch.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Yes, yes they do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had 2 snails for a few months. Yesterday, the frog apparently ate one of them. Nasty.

I pulled the snail remains out and threw them in the yard. We'll see how long the other snail lasts.

8. Click Here!

9. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Aw but you can't get mad at him...he's too cute.

If you have a freshwater setup long enough...eventually all algae goes away and never comes back. We used to have algae like crazy...and now I can't even get the stuff to grow for fun. We didn't do anything new to the tank either. We simply turn the lights on and off, feed, and siphon out poo ever few months :D Easiest thing in the world, and those fish still won't die. I want them dead cause we're converting that thing to a SW Q tank in the future.

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Since i added the two "golden apple snails" and a mag-float, I haven't had any algae issues anymore.

Snails took care of it. When he eventually eats the other, I'll get two more. They're only a buck or two.

But I wish I would have seen him get it!!!

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Neat looking little sucker...

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

The other snail is still there and fine... though his shell is dirtier since there is no other snail to clean him.

Anyway, reason for this post. I added 3 female and 2 male guppies to his tank. I added them last night. Surprisingly, he only ate one in the night, so I still have 4.

Bit blurry, camera phone wasn't fast enough ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]