Freshwater stingray!! ???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Mrs.Exec.Level, Apr 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

i had a fresh stingray for a few months. he got along great with my other fish and i fed him brine shrimp and he gobled them up- i had almost every variety of fish and he got along with them fine except for some inverts like crabs or small lobsters (crayfish) may pinch him.. also mine grew really fast so watch that but besides that go for it!

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I have had a few through the years. They are sensitive to the parameters. I had 2 die from being picked on my ciclides and one from the recent power outage. My son has fresh water and keeps one of these(until the power went out) and has one at the lfs on hold. They eat blood worms and even reg fishing worms. I have fed them crawlers that I bought at the local fishing store and they eat them like crazy. The last one I have at blood worms that my local lfs sold and it did well on this. They are allot of fun and watch the sting if you handle them some are aggrisive but the last one we had we hand fed and it could be held easily.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  4. scott25

scott25 Plankton

I have a teacup stingray he is about 3-4 inches.They eat black worms,ghost shrimp,pieces of earthworms.They are a peaceful fish.he dosent bother any of the other fish in my tank.they will look for food 24-7 should feed them at least twice a day.cant be keep with any aggresive fish and some plecos.

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

gaaahhh. i love it when noobs dig up year-old posts.

6. LeilaNami

LeilaNami Plankton

I'm sorry but I had to register specifically for this thread. You should never EVER keep a stingray in captivity in anything less than a very large environment. They need tons of floor space (yes even the little 3-4" rays) and no 120 gallons is not nearly enough. Keep in mind that these fish are very intelligent. They have the largest brain size to mass ratio that we know of to date. Enrichment is also needed for these animals. Unless you can provide this (which in reality unless you own your own facility) you should not even consider owning a ray in captivity! All you would be doing is putting an intelligent animal into a cramped environment in which problems and eventually death will occur. These pet stores are cruel to commodify the rays only to sell them to be put into deplorable conditions.
    I know that you don't know me and this is my first post but I worked with rays for a good while. We had 19 southern stingrays and 12 cownose rays in a 17,000 g facility. I realize this post is old but the fact that home care for a ray was even encouraged is astounding.

7. luv012

luv012 Plankton

you can feed them chopped market shrimp and tilapia fillets. they get along fine with other fish on equal size, and it helps if they are not bottem dwellers =)