Freshwater stingray!! ???

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Mrs.Exec.Level, Apr 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mrs.Exec.Level

Mrs.Exec.Level Astrea Snail

I am thinking about getting a freshwater stingray. has anyone kept one of these before?? I have been looking for info online about them but I am not finding much of anything that is very helpful.

can they be housed with other fish at all??
    Feeding??
    concerns with them???
    ect..??

The one I am looking at I am told is a Ridik it is about 5inches??? I google it though and cant find any info under that name but it looks like the spotted rays so maybe I am just being told the wrong name??

thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. 72RunningBlue

72RunningBlue Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have never had a stingray before but I have seen them before at the LFS. One thing I know is that you should have a sandy bottom, no matter if it's a salt water stingray or a "Freshwater" stingray. Sorry can't really help with fish, since I never had one.

4. Mrs.Exec.Level

Mrs.Exec.Level Astrea Snail

Thanks, I would definatly have a sand bottom something kinda deep because I know they like to burrow themselves. and I know they can easily injure themselves with some heaters and filters so I am not sure what would be best to use in the tank

5. Mulch

Mulch Astrea Snail

I had one for about six months. I don't remember what killed it (it was a long time ago). Very cool for the fresh water tank. The tank was a community tank and it was living nicely with several other fish in a 55g.

6. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

Saw a few of those at the LFS. The tank had fine red gravel and the rays were partially buried in it.

7. Executivelevel

Executivelevel Peppermint Shrimp

does anyone know what they eat?? or if they can be housed with any others or just certain kinds??? thanks!!

8. Click Here!

9. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

um i ahev never had even a saltwater sting ray, but i go to the monterey bay aquarium like 10-15 times a year or soemthing and for a couple months they had an amazon section with fresh water stinrays and they had a bunch of fish packed with them, so i suppose that it can be done ahahha.

10. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

i think it is going to eat meat. i dont know if it would be feeders r just chunks.

alittle off topic, nemo are from monterey too?

11. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

Freshwater stingrays are a big commitment. No, do not mix them with any other fish...i dont care whose done it, and with what other fish. It NEVER ends well in the long term. Rays are difficult enough on their own, you dont need another hassle to deal with in their system.

As far as diet, it varies from species to species, and me personally, i'm not familiar with any rays that go by that name. Mix of bloodworms, freshwater clams, krill, as well as live ghost shrimp are a good staple. The main problem with keeping fw rays is keeping them on a good diet. This includes dosing omega-3, B12, and B6 vitamins with EVERY MEAL, no exception.

As a sand bed, use smooth sand, that wont effect your ph, ie: silica works great.

12. ADOGG80

ADOGG80 Plankton

I currently have a freshwater stingray in a 120 gallon extra high. In my opinion a 55 is too small. The stingray you are talking about is a retic [reticulata] Very good filtration is needed. I have a Rena XP3 and a Magnum 350 Pro. As far as gravel, sand is good or red flint gravel in the smallest grain u can find is what I use. It is not harmful to their underbelly and is easier to clean. I have had several fish with my ray. I currently have a Silver arrowanna, a freshwater snowflake eel, and a Red Severum. I have never had any problems. As far as diet. I fed him blackworms when he was small as well as ghost shrimp. Now he is bigger he eats nightcrawlers, ghost shrimp, and sometimes feeders. I do weekly water changes. A lot of maintenance, but well worth it. Hope this helps. Have any other questions let me know.

1 person likes this.