Freshwater Planted Setup

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by sticksmith23, Jun 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I bought my son a 14 gallon starter kit for Christmas. It came with the two incandescent lights, which I know isn't enough to keep live plants.

My question is, what do I need to do to this tank to make it a great setup for live plants. I've always loved the look of a school of neon tetras swimming through plants.

My main questions are which substrate would be best and what type of lighting and how much? :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Hi,

Carib-Sea makes a substrate just for planted aquariums called Eco-Complete. Approximately 2 - 3 inches should suffice.

You'll need to upgrade to fluorescent lighting; a standard 1-bulb hood will work, but you'll need to replace the stock bulb with one for planted tanks. CoraLife makes those.

There may be other manufacturers with similar items as well, but those are the ones I know about.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Seachem makes a substrate as does AquariumPlants.com. 2 to 3 inches is needed for depth and 1 fluorescent bulb as mentioned by Mr.Bill will do.