Freshwater peeps help please!!

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by cosmo, Mar 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

OK even though I've spent $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on my tank, the boy insists on getting glow fish and a betta! But me being me, i need more in the tank to keep me interested and keep up the maintenance. And my freshwater knowledge is lacking.

So if I get a small 3 gallon, can i do 3 glow fish, a betta and a sail fin molly?

Or what else would you rec, i can get a 5 gallon, but kinda wanna keep it small.

Its his if his behavior stays good in school. We;re in a red headed irish test our boundaries mode right now.

2. Click Here!

3. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Not sure about how compatible a betta would be with the danios(glofish). I would do one or the other. The betta would need 5+ gallons and you could probably do 5-10 glofish in a 10g. Either way i would heavily plant it to keep maintenance down.

4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

yeah, def gonna do a lot of plants. So lets do a 5g, I've always thought betta's were cool with everything but betta's?????

5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I'd go with a 5 for the sailfin,they're pretty active,otherwise,i'd throw a few mystery snails and ghost shrimp in for a little cuc,and compaired to your reef,it'll pretty much run itself with very little maintenance.

I always like (and still have) natural looking decor,i despise mixed gravel and blue,pink fake plants.I like the natural silk looking plants with natual gravel or sand,river rock and driftwood.

No spongebob pineapples in my tanks :p

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Bettas are generally wonderful community fish,i've never had trouble with a male in a mixed non aggressive tank.

7. Dead ice

Dead ice Astrea Snail

i had a beta in my community tank you just have to make sure your beta feeds as glow fish really only work with black light kind of a waste i love cheery barbs there a good fish. beta as kool with anything but things like it self (i would avoid guppies) as for plants get the right lighting water changes you should be fine

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Really? Sprry i wasnt aware.

Go for it!

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I can't wait to get that thing out. Thx for the info, i like minimal maintenance!

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

Ya, Bettas are peacful except around other male bettas. A couple thoughts

1. its a "fun" tank right? Maybe those aquatic frogs?

2. Gouramis- some cool colored ones out there

3. Maybe a male and female betta?

I kind of want a FW cichlid tank at work. I used to have them and they are less work/money. I just love the bio-diversity of SW though!

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

cool thanks guys, maybe mattias was sipping some of the spring break brew! lol

I do like cherry barbs. I'd love to get him off the glow fish thing, just yuck, IMO, I'm more of a natural look guy too. I do like neon tetras and the small danios. What about in a 5g, the sail fin, beta, 2 barbs and like 4 danios or tetras