freshwater fish

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish' started by Guest, Jul 16, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on attractive freshwater fish that we do well together but also survive with high ph levels. I have been looking but I am not to keen on goldfish and fish with dull colors. I know I should one day do a sw tank but right now I don't have the funds. ;D

2. Click Here!

3. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Heather,
    I posted in your coral in FW thread.
    African Cichlids are very colorful and need a ph of between 8 to 9 depending on variety. Do a google search and I'm sure you will find something.
    Hope that helps.
    Scott 8)

4. Guest

Guest Guest

thank you again. One more question, what else can I put in the tank with them?

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

6. Bugsy

Bugsy Plankton

Hi, I also have high ph. I did keep some cichlids for a while. Make sure you do your homework on these fish. So many of them are not comptible with one another. My LFS sold me 4 small not all the same type of cichlid for my tank as I just wanted color and display. In no time I had 4 very aggressive fish fighting with one another non stop. So make sure you do lots of home work and have a huge tank for these types of fish. They do a great job at escavating your tank too.

I love to have an assortment of fish, right now I have two angelfish, white cloud moutain minnows, cherry barbs, platies in my tank. If I had my way though, the tetras are so colorful and cute. I really like the cherry barbs, not like the normal barbs at all and very small. If you want to go breathtaking. Fill it up with lots of live plants, a good light and neon tetras both the black/white and the red/blue/white. I always said that I was going to do this with one of my tanks when everything is gone. I have a 25 gal freshwater and oneday I know I will do just that.

I have had my white clouds for 3 years now, very hardy and sturdy fish although not the most colorful. Any of your small tetras make a nice display. And oh ya, get rid of the regular type of pleco if you have one. Spend the money and get a bristlenose catfish pleco. They only get 4" in lenght and do a better job than the regular pleco without getting to big for the tank. I just love mine.

Good luck with your choices....bugsy

7. Guest

Guest Guest

thanks for the info. i just purchased 4 of the african cichlads and they are wonderful. I am hoping to expand my tank within the next few weeks but i was wondering what other types of fish will be compatable with the cichlads. I am worried becuase they are agressive. Thanks

8. Click Here!

9. Bugsy

Bugsy Plankton

What are the four types of african cichlids you have right now?
    How big is your tank?

Bugsy

10. Guest

Guest Guest

well i am not sure to be honest wtih you. Two are yellow and two are blue with black stripes. My tank is 55 gal. And the fish are very small.

11. Bugsy

Bugsy Plankton

Okay with cichlids you should add them all at once. They establish terratories really fast and will stress any newcomers to the tank. You could put in two more I would think and that would be max in my opinion. Cichlids grow really fast and are very aggressive.
    The two blues sound like zebras but the yellows if they have a black band running on the top of their dorsal fin they are electric yellow or else they could be lupies, look out if they are lupies. Very aggressive fish. One thing with these type of cichlids is try and stay with african if that is what you started with, don't mix them with the other types of cichlids out there or you are asking for trouble.

If you want to add more, your tank is stable and fish are all healthy i would suggest you do it soon. Otherwise just keep what you have in there and enjoy.

good luck :)

12. reefchaos

reefchaos Flamingo Tongue

for high ph levels.. go with african cichlids.. they are colorful and fun to watch at..