Freshwater dips?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Scubagator87, Jan 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scubagator87

Scubagator87 Skunk Shrimp

Ok so my clownfish, particularly my little male are infested with the ich. I think the male is in need of some immediate relief before i can take other measures such as hyposalinity and lowering the temp. How do I go about doing a freshwater dip? What do you guys think about them?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. JohnFritts

JohnFritts Peppermint Shrimp

A freshwater dip is just that, fresh water. No salt needed. However, monitor the fish closely... I did a fw dip on my clown who had ich and only kept him in there for 5 minutes. The moved him to a QT tank.

good luck!

-fritts

1 person likes this.
  4. Scubagator87

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Make sure the FW is roughly the same temp (similar pH helps too) as your tank water is.
    5 minutes should do it, but monitor the fish the whole time in case he starts doing worse...
    ^great article btw.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. Scubagator87

when i do the hyposalinity treatment later on, will this adversely affect my anemone?

7. reefwisperer

reefwisperer Feather Duster

If you could do the hypo in another tank on the infected specimens only would be safest imo. Also some creatures release toxins during this and if something bites the dust it could nuke your system. Good luck

8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Whenever you see a post by Leebca (as this one was) take note. Lee Birch has been working with marine fish diseases and fish health for over 30 years. He really knows his stuff.

Hyposalinity will kill all invertebrates. It's only for fish.

10. Scubagator87

ok, thats kind of what i was thinking (about the hypo in the display). I need to re set up my q tank which could take a few days, so i guess i will do the dip as a temporary relief. I only have the two clowns so if i keep them in QT for 6 weeks that should starve the ich parasites (or so ive read on the site).

BTW, went out to get dip supplies and my male clown has lost almost all the white spots! hope this is a good thing, although i know that doesn't mean its gone.

I also got garlic (kent marine), and it says that you can add it into the water for treatment. Is it better to just dose it with the food? (I know people have mixed feeling about the effectiveness of garlic period, but im going to try everything i can)

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

If they get really sick, they don't want to eat. They're the same as us....if we have the flu, we don't want pork chops and applesauce. (That's a Brady Bunch reference for the older members). Garlic is an enticement to get them to want to eat, which they need to do. Kind of like giving a little kid brocolli.....YUCK. Well, how about if I melt some cheese on it. Well, OK.

Don't dose it into the tank. It will stink and your skimmer will go nuts.

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

That cheese stuff never did work for me...

EDIT: I'm stupid. Should have read the article before asking a question. ::)