Freshwater dip to treat Ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I noticed tonight while gettin up close and personal with my tank and trying to take a pic some sort of tiny white worms on the glass. I am guessing they are Ich in the free swimming stage. I am going to break down and set up another quarantine tomorrow and treat the two fish. All I want out of this tank is the rock and corals. They might carry the parasite though so I have to let them sit for 2 months correct? Also how do I keep good water quality in a brand new quarantine tank? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think you are seeing copepods or amphipods. The parasite is microscopic and can not be seen by the naked eye.

If you leave any fish out of the system for 60 days the ich will die. It is dependent on fish to complete it's life cycle. No fish then no ich. The parasite is specific to fish only. It can not survive on corals or inverts.

If you read this link and follow it you will be fine.

A Fish Quarantine Process - Step by Step - Reef Sanctuary

Since your fish is no longer very symptomatic I would just let the QT cycle and then attempt treatment.

4. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

My angel again is showing signs of ich tonight. Only this time he is covered in tiny white spots. They are hard to see at this point but I think they will be easier to see soon. Still eating and remaining active but I am afraid that if I do nothing at this point I will lose the fish.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

That is a great article. I never thought to take a filter out of a tank and use in a quarantine. Only question I have is wouldnt the copper kill the bacteria on the filter anyways?

6. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

i know what you are going through right now. I have been dealing with ich white and black and velvet for 2 yrs now. my latest case is my foxface catching black ich so the only known way i have seen and been able to get rid of it was qt and treat the a mix of copper and rid-ich. But i truely have gotten to the point of getting rid of all my fish and going invert and coral only tank so i no longer have to deal with random fish diseases.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Okay....took a filter from the tank the fish are currently in and placed it in a new tank. There is no carbon in it. Started hyposalinity tonight...1.011 is the current level. I plan on lowering it more. both fish are in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

lower it to 1.009 to do it properly. 1.011 is not low enough. I do hope you are using a Refractometer when doing this as well.

10. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I go 1.008. That way it never goes beyond 1.009 during evaporation.

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am using a hydrometer....thinking I should go with a refractometer though before I make any big changes. I think I will have to order one though.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

hydrometers are way too inaccurate for this. you MUST use a Refractometer. please go get one. they are relatively inexpensive and you will be amazed at the difference. get some calibration fluid too to make sure it is spot on. my hydrometer was .003 off.