Freshwater dip to treat Ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Agreed....a quarantine is the most effective. I cannot argue that. And thank you....I too am very happy my fish is doing well. Maybe it was the dip, the garlic, or the Ich attack....I dunno....but its working.

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

There is actually millions if dollars invested in the "solution" for ich. Most of this research is done in the aquaculture sector however. Vaccines have been well studied as they would be easier to implement than many of the current treatment solutions. They can't copper or hypo in their pen facilities.

If you turn to research, you'll get the most accurate information. Real research studies.... That's where we fall short. Forums have wonderful information.... and some very inaccurate and incorrect information.

4. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Wow what a varied group we are here. I am so glad to see we have such a diverse ammt of knowledge here. in my opinion, a freshwater dip can be a good thing for a fish that is known infected going into a QT situation. If done properly, it can accomplish getting rid of most if not all of the parasite. we kill thei parasite with either copper or Osmotic pressure with Hypo. true hyposalinity will kill the parasite in its most vulerable stages. in my opinion, and from what I have personally witnessed, a properly done FW dip can truly do wonders on a fish and will literally EXPLODE the cysts you see on the fish and with my observations, the fish heals VERY quickly.

Early on in this thread, I posted what I feel is the most effective FW dip I have found. I have used it with good success. BUT, as it has been said, dipping a fish to kill what is on it, and then putting it back into the tank it came from is ASININE. the parasite will just attack it yet again.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

As of today the angel does look great. Very active and eating very well. However, there is one small spot I am worried about. About a quarter inch from his eye is a small white dot that just started today. It started as just a bulge. Now it is a pointy white spot this evening. Ich? Something new?

6. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

7. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

Sounds like you need to research the life cycle of ich. Just because the spots are gone does not mean the ich is gone. And the spots you see are not the actual parasite, they are the cysts the fish formed over the top of the irritant, sort of like a scab. So ich may be present even without visible spots.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Incognito I am not sure how to place pics on here.....

10. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Tried taking a pic but the fish was not cooperative. Swims too fast to get a good look at the white spot on his forehead. Another question I have...once the parasite gets into a tank that contains live rock and corals etc....the fish can be removed and treated but the parasite remains in the aquarium that cannot be treated. After1-2 days of the free swimming stage they die without a host correct? Thanks

11. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Yes, but consider this. The fish have a period of the parasite being on them that can last from 3 to 30 days. The cyst stage that follows can last from 5 to 30 days as well. That means the free swimming stage will die off, but the free swimming stage might not start for another month (and almost definitely won't start sooner than a week). That's why they say to leave the tank fallow for at least two months to treat for ich.

Even two months isn't a guarantee, but it's a 99.6% thing.

12. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I noticed tonight while gettin up close and personal with my tank and trying to take a pic some sort of tiny white worms on the glass. I am guessing they are Ich in the free swimming stage. I am going to break down and set up another quarantine tomorrow and treat the two fish. All I want out of this tank is the rock and corals. They might carry the parasite though so I have to let them sit for 2 months correct? Also how do I keep good water quality in a brand new quarantine tank? Thanks