Freshwater dip to treat Ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thank you for all the great responses everybody. I wanted to update my situation. The Angel looks much better as of today. He does not have nearly as much ICH covering him today. He is eating....not much...but he is eating. I treated the tank with Ich Attack. I have read mixed reviews on this too. Whether it was the FWD or the Ich Attack I dont know. What I do know is he is eating...and looks much better today. I know its early. Time will tell.

2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

By the way I thought I would tell you how the dip went. I used RODI water within 2 degrees of the tank he is currently in. Adjusted the PH with baking soda and also mildly medicated the fresh water. Caught the fish and set him in. He of course went into defense mode and laid on his side on the bottom of the bowl. My brother freaked out...LOL. I expected this and checked to make sure he was breathing still. 4 mins total and then he was placed back in the tank. Today he is a new fish as I wrote above....but I am still keeping my fingers crossed.

4. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ahh well I did 1.011 and it actually did work for me lol

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

Ehh we told you not to... But whatever; the fish might get reinfected if you put him in the DT too quickly, but other than that, like I said before, wait at least 6-8 weeks for the marine ick to die off in the main tank

6. country1911

country1911 Coral Banded Shrimp

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I have been keeping the lighting on for just a short amount of time everyday. The ich is still visible on the angel but it is not nearly as plentiful.....mostly a few spots around the eyes. Seems to be doing well. Fed him a little tonight and he ate everything he could get a hold of! I am still keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping for the best. The damsel in the tank with him has not shown any signs of Ich yet either.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

As of today when I got home I could only find 1 or two spots of ICH on the angel. Maybe its the calm before the storm?? I hope not! As far as I can tell he is doing great!

10. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

the angel will be fine as long as you feed him well and keep his immune system healthy. Not sure why you would treat the flame angel if you just put him back in after treatment; you might as well should've left him in the tank and dealt with ich the way you are now

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am by no means an expert. I just remember having some success with a fresh water dip and then treating the tank. I actually think I will dip all of my future fish before I even place them in my quarantine tank.

12. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

but why??? that's the point of a quarantine........:-/