Freshwater dip to treat Ich

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Nov 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Thanks for the advice everyone....and against the majority....based off my previous experiences....I dipped the fish. For app 4 mins he was in the exact same ph fresh RODI water. The fish went into defense mode and laid on the bottom on his side. Ive seen this before. After 4 mins I removed him from the water and placed him back in the tank at which time he began swimming around like nothing happened. I also treated the dip with copper sulfate. Will it work? I hope so. It has in the past. Will update everyday....several times a day. I am greatful for any feedback. Thanks everyone.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Because Marine Ich is now in the system, the fish will most likely become re-infected quickly. You have provided temporary relief from the parasite but if the stress that lead to the ichs development is still present the fish will once again exhibit signs and symptoms.

How old is this tank Ryland?

4. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I'll admit when I'm wrong. All the same, one ich infection does not mean the fish cannot come down with it again, even if it is better suited to fight the infection the second time.

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

It is less than a year old Corailline. I know my odds arent the best. But its the only treatment I have unless I want to kill the shrooms. (It might come to that) I have done it in the past and been successful. I am hoping it will work again. Lights turned off imediately after returning to tank and also dosed with a good slime coat replacement. Keeping my fingers crossed.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

With good water quality, ich is a disease that many fish can get over on their own. A bunch of my fish have themselves. Best of luck.

7. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am going to attempt to keep the highest water quality possible over the next week or so. I am going to do a 5-10 percent water change tomorrow.

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Agreed.

10. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

Not to be a jerk or anything but you can find 10 more articles that say they can not become immune. I know that things can become immune to Bacteria's or Virus's but how can something possibly become immune to a parasite?

11. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Where are these research articles? Bring them forth and we can discuss them.

And you should probably do a little more reading on the topic of immunology.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Immunity deals with a virus of sorts. this is a Parasite. immunits only comes from a very healthy fish and their immune system killing the parasite as it hosts in the body. at least that is my opinion. I may be incorrect.

that said, if you are dead set on the freshwater dip, read this article. this is the procedure I use.

Freshwater Dip for Marine Fishes

I have used that with very good success. most recently on a purple tang with Crypt being introduced into a known clean tank. I did this only because QT was an impossible option and the fish needed to go into my tank. it was very nerve racking, but to this day, the purple tang never showed any additional signs, and neither did any of the other fish in the tank that were previously infected prior to a full tank hypo treatment.

Also, Garlic is a Myth. it will NOT cure ich. it will only stimulate the apetite of the fish. and marginal at that. my tangs dont like it in their Nori. Here is a good article on that with references to back it up.
    http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-10/sp/index.php

while I DO NOT ADVISE dipping a sick fish and then adding it to your DT, I will use this for introduction into my QT systems.

Other advice I can give you is to read everything you can on the TREATMENT of the parasite. there are tons of good articles on it on all sorts of forums. I prefer Hypo, others prefer copper. some use both (not at the same time) so do some extra home work.

also, unless it is do or die, dont jump into a treatment based on the reply on a board by an "expert." This includes my response. while most of us have been there, we are not in your exact situation.