freshwater co2

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by jonathan, Feb 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

i was just playing with the idea of freshwater but is it absolutely necessary to implement co2 into a planted tank? what are the benefits with/without co2? thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

anyone? bueller.....bueller?

4. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

not necessary, fish poop, fish breath, fish make plants grow

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not necessary but it can make a difference. You'll find a thread on this board for a Hagen Co2 system that I used to use for a while. It works on small tanks and is cheap.

6. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Not necessary but CO2 adds a massive amount of plant growth versus not using it. You don't need the pressurized CO2 system. There nice but you don't have to have them. If you are looking for a good cheap system you can run one of the yeast fermentors into a small powerhead. Then put the powerhead on a timer that is only on when the lights are on. That is what I used and I had 3 swords plant grow 6-8 inches in a month!

7. jonathan

you guys are awesome...thanks for all the replys. i'll have to check out that hagen system. i've been visiting a translated version of the ADA site (japanese, i believe) and even though it's not saltwater, the tanks are incredible, even with just a bottom covering (i'm not up to speed on my plant species yet) and a few jagged rocks, the tanks look amazing! with exception to the yeast system (i assume that is when table sugar is used) , when having a co2 canister hooked up and going empty, what is and where is the best bet for refilling? thanks again for the input.

8. Click Here!

9. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

That is the Amano look and those tanks are sweet. As far as where to get CO2 compressed gas companies, soft drink and beer distuributor, or welding supply shop. I got mine filled at AirGas it is a national chain. You might want to try looking them up. Also you might want to ask if the gas is "food grade" some of the welding shop's CO2 contains oils and dirt that would not be good for your tank.

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I got my Co2 from a fire extinguisher store.

11. jonathan

thanks for the tips! one more question, does co2 help with the coloration (vivid green) of freshwater plants or is it mainly for growth?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2006
  12. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Strong green coloring is more from proper levels of nitrogen and phosphorus available in the water if I remember correctly. It shouldn't be a problem unless you go real light on the fish load.