Fresh Water Dip???? YES or NO??

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Roemer3, Jun 4, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Roemer3

Roemer3 Astrea Snail

I just got a new Rectangle Trigger from my local pet store, He is about 5 inches long, I added him into my 90g tank very slowly, first acclimating him to the temperature and then the water. The process took about an hour, However after a few days i noticed he had ich, day 3 just a few white spots on the fins, and day 4 it was all over the fish, BUT, Day 5 (Today) I noticed there was only a few spots on his fins??? It seems to be going away on its own. I called the store where I got him and they recommended that i do a fresh water dip with the fish. What do you guys think about taking this approach? Thanks for any suggestions. also, it is a relatively new tank and there is no coral in it at the moment.

2. Click Here!

3. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

First I would say too little too late. Most of us I think have had to learn the hard way to QT fish. A 5-10 gal tank at wal-mart is like $13. and a HOB filter another 10-15. It's just the safest bet, not for new fish but for all your fish. Ich can spread like pink eye at a kids daycare. You can dip the fish sure but it doesnt remove the ich from your tank or your other inhabitants.

4. FatBastad

FatBastad Zoanthid

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If the parasite is not causing symptoms such as heavy breathing with a reduction in appetite than I would not do a FW dip. Nor would I ever do a fresh water dip on a fish and re-introduce it back to the same display.

6. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Removing the fish from your tank would do more harm than good. Try to get it to eat and let it be. Doing that will give your fish the best chances.

7. Chris!

Chris! Banned

LMAO!!! A 5-10g tank for a 5" fish.... good luck with that. The OP is already likely going to have enough fun with this fish in a 90...

+1 Keeping it eating, and eating a quality food is the most important thing. Ich isn't that bad and healthy eating fish can and will beat it. I prefer to feed NLS thera+A pellets because they have both garlic and copper in them, and I have had good luck with even picky eaters eating them quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Chris I didnt say that a 5-10 gal is for the fish to its life in. I said for QT purposes. Look at the LFS, you wont see every fish in their gallon appropriate tank either. Someone buys a 300 gallon recommended fish, you dont think they have a 300 gal QT tank somewhere? lol. Even an abbreviate stay in a small QT will help identify potential issues before dumping who knows what into the DT for all fish to enjoy (sarcasm).

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  10. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Amazing, even from experienced reefers,
    Treating Ich is still all over the map.

FWIW- I HT my Royal Blu Tang with Ich, when he was at least 5 in long, in a 5g bucket, with an airstone sponge filter. The bucket probably had 3g of water in it. I used Cupramine
    I use the same set up for my QT tank.
    Since I first started this many moons ago, I have had zero Ich, and no deaths.

This was on a closed course, I am a professional- don't try this at home. - J/K about that last statement.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

To follow up, here is a good explanation of the life cycle of Ich from Cheryl:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/life-cycle-marine-ich-96343.html

This will tell you why there are less spots today. Unfortunately, they will likely come back in a week or two, same as before.

I just had the same issue in my 55. I actually did QT a new fish, and still ended up with him covered in Ich shortly after going into the DT. Here is my thread which will hopefully offer some insight: http://www.3reef.com/forums/fish-diseases/ich-dt-looking-treatment-advice-147220.html

12. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Just advice but if the fish is in your DT then there is only one way to get rid of the ICH. Remove the host for a week or two and let the ICH die off. The only way ICH will survive based on it's life cycle is if it has a host to feed off of after it reproduces. If you remove all the fish and put them in a QT the ICH will die off due to not having a host to attach to. You could also treat the fish in the QT while they're in there. I dealt with ICH in my 90 and this method worked for me.