Free rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Scoffer, Dec 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Just wanted to get any opinions on this. I live here in Jacksonville, and only a few mintures rom the beaches. Areas of our waterways are Jetties and rocks. I've gotton a couple of coolers full and started a new tank for a buddy. Any thoughts on this rock ? (I''ll add some pictures). We've clened it very well. and added it to a new tank, so it will cycle with the rock in it.

It's very porous and looks nice I think..seems dense to. Have to break it wit a hammer if needed. If this is ok stuff....I've found a desert of it....:)

Scoffer

Attached Files:

• rock.jpg
      rock.jpg
      File size:
      76.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Click Here!

3. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

4. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say...what you are doing is HIGHLY illegal. The last thing I would be doing if I was harvesting live rock from florida water is posting about how I harvest live rock from florida waters and use a hammer and chisel to boot.

But hey, I could be wrong.

5. bottom feeder

bottom feeder Plankton

sounds like you love the rock

Hey scoffer are you new at this <just think of all the crap you would be putting in there with the rock>.What did you go fishing put your pole in a holder and look for rocks <burn boy>.Thats illegal our live reefs are damaged enough without some goone tearing them up:mad:

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Florida is one of the most protected areas dealing with coral reefs. Harvesting is illegal. Anything taken out of the beach, ANYTHING... is illegal.

As for the rocks, they will do. Hey, aquariums use cinder blocks to lay the foundation on their reefs and it grows stuff. Anything placed underwater will culture bacteria and living organisms.

7. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

well it may be wrong personally I think the tank looks nice but I Guess the only thing different from what your doing and from what the people did who provided the live rock we all have was have a liscense.But what do I know im a noob you may not even need a liscense ytou may just need to know about ocean life and be in a org

8. Click Here!

9. trizzot

trizzot Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Florida rock

The rock will work, and it looks fine. As for it being illegal, It may or may not be. Who are these people to judge you? When they drive 30 mph in a 25 mph They too are breaking the law. If you were out on a reef with a hammer and chisel things would be different. Consider yourself lucky, you saved $$$$$$$.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have used the Fla base rock for over 35 yrs Its ll I ever use and I get it when I am in Fla there is a quarry near you that sells I'll look it up if you want it ? Hell their are quarries all over fla. Thats where many L/R suppliers get their seed rock from then barge it out to the gulf and set it out. Now the quarries They grind it and sell it for lawns and calcium reactors chicken fed LOL Dolomite and lime

When I see them building a road I'll take some also it what Fla is setting on a dead reef :) As for taking it from a jetty ? Might want to ask about that I don't think its considered marine life so I don't think you are wrong there but the Army Corp of Engineers might have a issue with it ? Like with a Levee in La. You can get shot for poking a finger in one .. Thats what I'd look into

As for the footing and raod work I asked a guy once that was digging a new footing for the pad the new Hoilday in was built on in Jacksonville back in 95 where we where racing at and he said hell yes take all you want and had his guy to toss a few tons into my truck :) I brought up a ton last yr here to Ct. For these tanks I will never pay $$$ a pound for a wet rock with carp on it LOL

1 person likes this.
  11. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

For all the people who just wasted time and space here preaching about taking dead rock being illegal.
    step1 : pull pants down.
    step2 : remove head from ass
    step3 : get al life

Only harvesting LIVE organisms is illegal in florida, and only if you get CAUGHT!!!! NOT picking up rocks and shells from the beach and roadside. Please, if you dont have helpful advice, don't post. I hate being advised something stupid someone who know nothing about what there talking about. There are real problems in the world the authorities need to worry about.

To those who posted helpful advice, thanks a million.....I think I'll go back and steal some more!!!!

(shaking head like a crazy person)

Scoffer

12. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

maybe I was hasty in my post, but this is dead rocks. I never mentioned coral reef or liverock.... very simple....the only reefs in North Florida are about 15 miles offshore and and 100 feet down. otherwise, I consider this garbage I'm picking up.

Maybe those coral reefs and liverocks plantations in OHIO are the illegal ones..
    Scoffer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.