Fragging Zoos

Discussion in 'Frags' started by imagine7070, Mar 27, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. imagine7070

imagine7070 Flamingo Tongue

I was just wondering, will a zoo die if you frag it from the mother colony, but DON'T immediately attached it to another piece of rock? Like if you just laid it on a rock in your main tank temporarily?

The reason I am asking is that I want to frag two different types of zoos that are on one main rock. BUT I don't have two different places to put them and it would be another day or two until I can go to the LFS to look for some rock rubble.

Any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

First off, why not just wait till you get the rubble?

No they wont die, most times when you buy them at a frag swap, they are not attached to anything.

4. imagine7070

oh perfect, thanks!

Because I'm selling them off fairly soon. (for a little more than I bought it for) BUT it didn't hit me until I was at work today that I could frag off about 5 polyps to keep for myself and just let them grow.

5. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Yeah thats what I do with rarer colors. Under the right conditions they grow quick. Ive seen 4 pop up in a weeks time from 2 polyps.

6. imagine7070

I just wish I thought about it sooner... now the guy is going to come over tonight and the polyps are all going to be closed. :-/

7. imagine7070

Do you think I can frag them under water (in a small tupperware container) versus doing it on dry land (aka- a towel)

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'll just take a razor blade and cut a bunch from the colony and toss then in a tank full of old rubble we also do the Xenia's and colts and such . You can just lay the large colony up aside another rock and they will migrate over.