fragging zoas

Discussion in 'Frags' started by tgood, Jul 2, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I have a frag plug with zoa polyps and it's almost completely covered. I would like to glue them to a large rock. Do you normally cut the entire colony off the plug? Or do you cut just a few polyps and glue them where you want them, then keep the frag plug growing. Or is it just personal preference?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I don't think you will be able to cut the colony off and it's extremely difficult to glue them. They typically free themselves after a day or 3 in my experience. I take the plug and glue it to the rock. It will be covered in no time and off onto the rock. After that happens, you can remove the plug and sell it.

Just a thought.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I agree. Just be careful when handling them either way. Wear gloves and don't touch your eyes!

5. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

I have never fragged zoas but if you YouTube frag zoas there are several videos that pop up so you can actually see it done. I don't know if this helps.

6. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

Thanks! I'll probably just move the frag closer to the rock I want them on and wait for it to grow over. I cut my GSP and it is doing well, don't think I'll need to try it with the zoa's though.

7. sceia

sceia Astrea Snail

A razor blade usually does well. There's a bunch of youtube vids on fragging zoas. I either razor them or cut the plug...

8. Click Here!

9. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I use a razorblade and cut them off the plug then use gel superglue and never had issues with them floating off.

10. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

I am with Alex- cut them off with a razor and glue them to a plug. They are very hardy

11. Thomas haleiwa

Thomas haleiwa Detritus

Fragging Zoa's and Pally's

First question is are they a mat or polyps?
    Second are you looking to propagate in your tank or trade?

-wear rubber gloves
    - have a fresh water dip ready
    - have gel super glue, cheap kind
    - have a clean dry rock or plug ready
    - have a towel
    - have a deep bowel of tank water
    - have a new bladed exato knife with a few fresh blades
    - have deep fresh water dip ready

-Take the colony place it in the deep tank water
    - pick the area you want to move. If its a mat style cut around the heads then gently add pressure on the rock slicing at the rock not mat as it will pop off (gloves on) once off add to fresh water dip to wash the excrete off (toxin)
    - add a ball of gel glue to the surface you would like applying minimal pressure to the mat. It in time will fill in the contour of the rock or plug.
    - wait 30 sec then add to the deep tank water bowl. This will remove air bubbles and cure the gel very fast. Give ten mins then your done.
    - if its a polyp cut around skins edge pop off. Place a large ball of glue where you want and place it by the bottom...not pressing it down, be gentle. Place in fresh dip, with rock attached for 1 min then 10 in saltwater bowl and your ready to and done. This will kill polyp spiders but not snails if present. Do not float polyp with no base, it will do what it's nature has taught it and bleed the remaining saltwater out leaving a empty flat polyp. I may last but it may devolve in a week or less.

- few side notes, dry the area of rock,disc,plug before glue is added. This helps minimize air bubbles.
    - use more gel then you think needed, it should bulge out when done. Glue expands as it dries and giving room outward will help keep your frag from being pushed away from the plug,disc,rock.
    - once the frag opens after fragging, feed it. If it will takes it. It has been through trauma and must regain its Heath.
    - never, never, never touch your face or eyes....wear rubber gloves. Some zoa, Pally's are on the most toxic list. If you notice a thick slim dripping after the FW dip make sue to do a water change.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2013
  12. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Posting your email is an open invitation to get spammed.:(