Fragging Xenia Questions

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Birdlady, Jan 7, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have this HUGE Xenia...

http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=birdlady/xenia3.jpg

and I really need to hack it up! The stalks have gotten long because it is at the bottom of my tank. My question is, can I cut each frag at the branching part....

Where it forks out like a 'Y' can I cut off each top?

If I cut all the tops off, will the bottom stalk grow new branches or should it be tossed?

THANKS!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I would use a very sharp knife, exacto or razor blade if possible, to frag. Optimumly I would remove it from the tank is it will use it's chemical warfare. You can cut it just about anywhere and then rubber band the frag to a piece of rubble and place it back in the tank. If you can't remove it then get the frag out ASAP!. HTH

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i would cut the large branches off thats what i do...make sure to secure them fast lol they shrink so much...when i tied them like 10 min later i lost em...im still looking...lol those were gona be sold sunday...w00t...i use a knife and cut a bit and then tear...it makes them heal faster i think if u tear them...if its a Y i would not cut off eat top...there is no point...i dont think it will grow new polyps but...im not sure...one last thing cut it when the 3 branches meet try to give the frag a large "base" nice and tell...

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Coral;num=1105153601;start=0#1 date=01/07/05 at 23:30:37]I would use a very sharp knife, exacto or razor blade if possible, to frag.  Optimumly I would remove it from the tank is it will use it's chemical warfare.  You can cut it just about anywhere and then rubber band the frag to a piece of rubble and place it back in the tank.  [glow=red,2,300]If you can't remove it then get the frag out ASAP!.[/glow]  HTH[/quote]

cant remove that? the frag?

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Great! Thanks Craig! So basically, you are telling me I can't really mess this one up! LOL!

I put it on the sand with rubble so I would be able to take it out easily and it would not over run the tank....will frag in separate container..

Do I need to frag under water? If not, should I then rinse it off before putting back in the tank? Or let them heal in a separate tank? blah blah blah...sorry! for the ramble! ;D

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thanks too Bruce...posted same time! :)

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Cut it under water in a separate container and then place back in the display after you get it fixed to the rubble. And no you can't goof this up!

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Thank You!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

11. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I would cut at the base and wedge the cuttings into a crevice that would look nice with some xenia :) Big coloinies that have been established are very hardy by any means. nice xenia!

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i goofed it up...well my hermits did they chewed thew the rubberband and im still looking for my xenia w00t...also when kenya trees frag themselves...lol do they usually detach towards the top?...i got some where it looks like somthing but aroung like cutting a bagel lol but it dont look hurt? is that how they bud? or thx