Fragging Kenya tree

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Iraf, May 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Do I just cut a branch off and rubberband it to some rubble like xenia or is there another way to do this?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Yes thats how its done I rather just lay it in a little dish of rubble in the aquarium as the toothpick and rubber band can and does cut through them to easliy

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

When I initially "fragged" my first one, I just cut off an arm and shoved it firmly in some hole in rock...

Wasn't long before I found out that they spread themselves fairly quickly by just dropping off "buds" which will attach themselves to just about anywhere.

Use Tangster's method if you want to control spreading better.

Very difficult to use rubberband/gluing method with these corals.

But, prepare to be ruthless once they start spreading all over tank.

I have to cut out about a handful of the stuff a month to keep somewhat under control. :-/

I seem to have two different types....one kind that grows slower, but gets larger and has heavier body form...(right below)

Other, smaller, grows much faster, spreads like crazy, is a bit more purplish in color...(left below)

Spreading all over tank on own...(once a small single piece). [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  5. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

sell it to your lfs omard for some store credit.

6. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Too right, Omar...
    I never consciously TRIED to make a kenya tree frag, but i've got dozens...once the mother colony got big/happy enough it started dropping branches like crazy...I've got a hermit crab that either sat still too long or picked the wrong shell to move into...must be heck dragging that frag around...
    A few of the daughter colonies that i ripped off my main LR and tossed into my fuge easily attached themselves to LR rubble with no help from me...just low flow to keep them from blowing around...
    good luck!

7. wareagle35031

have either of you tried selling it to a lfs?

8. Click Here!

9. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

My LFS won't touch the stuff...they consider it a weed and only want more "high end" frags...of course, I live on what's called the "platinum coast" of CT...most folks that have reef tanks have full service contracts from the LFS...they just have to sit and watch their 500 gallons of reef...no plucking green hair algae or emptying skimmer cups for them! ;)

10. wareagle35031

LOL
    well i live in rual alabama, not many reefers here, and if you say reefer here they are thinking something else. LOL :)

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ditto. :-/

12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Worlds away, my friend...worlds away...

I wish I even had a local reefer that would like to take some frags off my hands for free...if i can't sell the stuff I'd at least like to keep it in the trade...

And now, having officially accidentally taken over this thread, I'm done...g'night, kids...