Fragging ill toadstool

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Siddique, Jan 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

So, I know that one is supposed to frag perfectly healthy specimen but I've had a beautiful toadstool for about 6 months. For the past month or so, the toadstool has been very limp, very weak polyp extension (if any at all). I've trid different placement, more waterflow and it still is limp.
    It does not have a putrid smell nor is it excreting any slime etc.
    My question is, would it be wise for me to frag this coral into multiple pieces or just leave it be?
    Here is a pic of it in the beginning
    And then how it looked a week ago. now it looks even worse.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

A coupe hours again till I cut him up. I don't wanna make a bad decision on a TTD$950 coral.... Anyone:confused:

1 person likes this.
  4. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Im not familiar at fragging, but the thing looks pretty harsh compared to when you 1st had it. Was there anything you changed in the tank up till recently? and all your levels are good? I guess I just dont know what youd frag when the whole thing is taking a downhill fall?

Sorry to be so blunt. Ill try and help you find some fragging info on them.

I found this video searching so far, :) was kinda neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBNasUsLVqM

5. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I would leave him, he might be in the process of shedding, which is normal for them. If it starts to decay or fall apart, it might be some type of bacterial infection, in which you will want to frag the unhealthy parts and dip him in a coral dip(which is just watered down iodine) Not sure on the ratio of iodine to water, so maybe someone else can chime in on that. Good luck Siddique, he sure looks(looked?) pretty, I would hate to see you loose him.

6. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

Oh wait, he's been like that for a month? I didn't catch that part. Maybe get a few more opinions before you do frag, I'm really not familiar with what might be wrong with him. A month is a really long time, though. I'm surprised he hasn't started melting away or something. Good luck either way.

7. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

This was one of the vids tonight that made me want to frag mine.

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

If you do frag it, Best of wishes to you! +k

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Should I just use some "essential elements in the tank and see if that helps?

Tank is at stable 79F. My supplier advised this temp because it's what he keeps his tanks at and we live in the tropics.
    My controller is locked at that temp. I have no idea how to unlock it to bring the temp lower. All other corals including another toadstool are all great. The pic below is of the other toadstool.

I noticed that a small piece of the stalk broke off last night from the bottom of the coral.

Attached Files:

11. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

I'm kind of stumped Siddique, not really sure what to tell you. I hope others will chime in in the morning to help you out. Just don't do anything drastic yet till you get some more opinions.

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Id post all your param's and corals next to the toadstool. Maybe when some are checking the threads through out the night and morning, someone with more experience in toadstools can chime in. If its been that way in your tank for almost a month another day should be ok for now.