fragging help

Discussion in 'Frags' started by billrwilson, May 17, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

in the pic you will see a tree thing not sure what it is but i know its not a colt. anyways i would like to frag it. its huge now double the size in the pic. i heard just slice a branch off and stick i round tooth pic through the frag and rubber band it to a rock. is this true? do i have to do anything with the coral i cut it from? i dont want to loose it and ive never done anything like this before.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

Hehe, once you snip, you won't be able to stop. That's pretty much all you do. Cut it and stick the cut piece on a rock. I was as scared as you my first frag, but they all did fine. The "mother" coral will shrink for a bit, but it's nothing to worry about.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It is called Lemnalia, and is a type of cauliflower/tree coral. It is a soft coral but isn't as hardy, as is a Colt or Kenyon Tree coral. They require iodine supplementation and moderate water flow as well as moderate to strong lighting. This coral is in the "most toxic" category in terms of their chemical defenses similar to Sarcophyton. The strong water flow helps to prevent the coral from collapsing which it is prone to do. If this happens, the coral rarely recovers and will die.

5. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

here is more pics of the tree thing better ones i think

Attached Files:

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Kent Marine has a product called "coral accel". It is designed to be used when fragmenting small stonies and soft corals, octocorals and anemones! It contains marine lipids and aminos to assist coral tissue growth. Just some fyi!