fragging button polyps?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ranger2806, May 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

i just got a new button polyp and its huge and there are little ones fighting to get through. i would love to frag a few off of it and spread the joy but have no clue on how to do it. i have never fragged anything. please any advise!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The easiest way to to break up the rock ;) But you can cut them to remove. Just take a very sharp scalpel, and cut the base as close to the rock as possible. Then superglue it wherever you want it ;) If you see brown ooze, then toss it, as it's dead ;)
    The one thing I can't stress enough: Button polyps can contain palytoxins, which are some of the most deadly and complex poisons in nature. It is fully capable of easily killing a person. Wear eye protection and gloves, and do the fragging in a nice quiet place away from any children or pets, and immediately wash all tools and containers very well.

4. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

When I frag my button polyps, I also give them a quick rinse in a pitcher of water I take from DT when glue is dry, then I put them in tank. I've got three nice sized colonies that look great now!

5. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

thanks so much. so let me get this right if i dont see anything oozing out of it then im good but if anything oozes out then toss it. right

6. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

so it dosent hurt them to be out of the water for that long and what is DT

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Yes. If it starts oozing brown jelly, it's most likely toast. And no, they can be out of the water for a while. I've had zoa's/paly's out for 10 minutes at a time and they were fine. The crazy one was green star polyps. Left those on my light fixture for 7 hours one time, and they still lived ;)

DT= display tank

8. Click Here!

9. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

thanks i love this place. i have only had my 75 set up for about 8 months and im looking for a 300 or bigger now to recess in the wall. its so darn addicting.

10. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Just a side note as Pack has it all laid out.... zoos can handle A LONG time out of water... many transhippers will ship them wrapped in moist paper towel and no water!!

Happy fragging!!
    And be CAREFUL!

11. ranger2806

ranger2806 Fire Shrimp

wow i never knew that. thanks for the warnings i never knew that as well

12. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

Yeah, sorry about that DT thing. I also read that it was a good idea to put the new frag in an area of the tank that has similar flow and light exposure as the parent colony. Once the frag looks good and settled, I usually move it to a place where I think it looks nice!