Foxface turned to the dark side.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by patrick824, Jun 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

So, I have this foxface, hes about 5 inches long. for about 5 months now hes been living with button polyps, mushrooms, and a large leather coral, no problems. 2 days ago i bring home 4 new shrooms and a 1"x4" rock packed full of xenia. 24 hours later, bye bye xenia. it was completely gone, a few polyps here and there and a couple flating aroung, but at least 80 stalks had been devoured by something. having an angel, i immediately blamed him, but later saw my foxface pooping, and pooping a LOT, like constant stream of green sandy poo. so much that my 100 gallon looked like a snowglobe. i thought this was weird but whatever, i wanted to find out who was eating my xenia. today, i saw a couple stalks of xenia on the rock only to be chowed on 2 seconds later by none other than my foxace. I have seen him go on his poo marathons 3 times now, every time making the tank full of floating poo. i guess xenia does for him what fiber1 mixed with beans does for us. my main question though is WHY? is is definitely well fed, if not over fed, and he has never picked on a button polyp, mushroom, or my leather coral.

2. Click Here!

3. dumbderk

dumbderk Purple Spiny Lobster

It is like many fish we always get, some fish have totally different habits than others of the same kind, like certain fish are more prone to do something like foxface rabbitfish are very prone to picking on lps but the one I have does not pick on anything what so ever. It is really luck to get something that acts the exact same in my opinion, each fish has its own personality and will be more prone to do something than others, but doesnt mean it will.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

he must of missed the "what to eat" memo. You just got bad luck I would take foxface to the lfs.

someone on here once had the same problem with their foxface then there tang also started eating corals.

5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Foxface apparently are more prone to be coral snarfers than other reef safe fish. Most times they are well behaved, but once in a while you hear of stories like this.

I've had 2 foxface lo's in my reef tanks over the years, and neither has eaten any coral. My current foxface is around 5" long and eats any food he can get, but is a model reef citizen.

6. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

You could make some serious cash eliminating xenia infestations for people....

7. divott

divott Giant Squid

i wish my foxface would mow down my xenia. lol. but he doesnt and has never gone after anything like that. my purple tang ate my japanese zoas. but neither of my 2 dwarfs have touched anything. sorry to hear your troubles patrick.

8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

thanks guys. its not too bad because i honestly hate xenia... but it just surprised me! and yeah i could loan him to people to chow the stuff haha