Fox face has a hole in it's skin.

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by conjuay, Jul 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Our foxface has a small hole in it's skin directly behind (in other words, "covered by") the left pectoral fin. It is slightly larger than the size of a printed period in standard text. From the center of this dot is a what appears to be a string like piece, like a single short black hair. This appears to be a parasite, but I'm certain I will not be able to get a good picture of it.
    None of the links at the top of this forum appear to work any longer, does anyone have a GOOD site they can refer?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. wjrg

wjrg Astrea Snail

Hi, you need a good antibiotic, but be cearful som will afect your tank badly(oxigen, bacteria...) so you have to do it in a hospital tank, or making a dep with the medication if you dont have the hospital tank.

1 person likes this.
  4. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Photo: Hole in fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to get a better idea of what I am treating before I create greater problems. Photo isn't great, but it's a difficult fish to catch sitting quietly.
    Any ideas?
    My main concern is that it may be a burrowing parasite, heading for the heart or other vital organ.
    Are antibiotics my best bet?
    This guy is going to HATE a hospital tank, unless I arrange visiting hours with his buddy, the yellow tang.
    Getting him out of the display will be daunting....

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Didn't read your first post. Not sure about the stringy thing. I'd look into the HLLE though. Looks like it's starting in front of the fish's eyes.

7. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

No, the other spots are the coloration of the fish, it has some spots along the front of it's head, and near the eyes.
    No it is just the spot on the side, but having never seen HLLE, I will have to consider that. That article also mentioned "hexamita", that might have been what I had initially observed hanging from the spot.

My fish do get regular Nori etc, which I always thought helped prevent HLLE.
    :-/

8. Click Here!

9. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Final outcome:
    I think he was stabbed.
    More recently I seen some very aggressive behavior from my Hippo tang, tail swatting, etc.
    I think fox face got too near the tang when it was in a bad mood...

10. jimw369

jimw369 Fire Shrimp

Might be a good time to start adding Metronidazole in the fishes food. Its an antibiotic that helps fight infections specifically on the skin. Dont think it does anything for HLLE though.