found Xanthid crab in reef tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by wombat, Aug 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wombat

wombat Plankton

Hi
    I am new to the forum and found a Xanthid crab last night after finding two fish dead a flame angle and black bennie could he be the culprit? i will post a pic asap

2. Click Here!

3. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

The xanthid crab is also known as the coral crab. I don't know if that makes it "reef safe" for the tank setting but they aren't known to eat fish they do nibble on polyps though. I'd check water parameters.

4. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

Also how old is your tank and how many fish do you have?

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm guessing that the crab was taking advantage of an opportunity at an easy meal. I highly doubt it yanked a healthy flame angel from the water column.

6. wombat

wombat Plankton

THE TANK IS 2 YEARS OLD BUT NEW TO ME. 110 GALLONS WITH A LOT OF LR . I FOUND HIM IN A HOLE HE MADE ABOUT 3/4" X 7" DEEP HE HAD THE BODY OF THE BENNIE IN THERE WITH HIM AND THE FLAME ANGLE WAS AT HIS DOOR STEP A ALSO HAVE A Mandarin Gobie ,7 LINE WRASS,CLOWN, AND A SCOOTER BLENNIE THEY SEEM TO BE FINE BUT I LOST A BLUE TANG LASTWEEK.
    THANKS FOR THE HELP

7. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

it seems like he doesn't have any other food source if you have a fish only tank. i think your only option is to take him out.

8. Click Here!

9. wombat

wombat Plankton

It is a reef tank, have alot of coral in the tank. I got him out it was a pain in the a$$. He was at the bottom. Should i put him in the sump or take him to the lfs? Or flush? I DID A GIS FOR CORAL CRAB HE DOESNT LOOK LIKE THAT HE IS BROWN STRIPPED WITH BLACK CLAWS AND RED EYES

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  10. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

see what the lfs will give you. btw you should post some pics i'm sure everyone here would like it. your tank sounds nice.

11. wombat

wombat Plankton

12. reefman1132

reefman1132 Skunk Shrimp

ok so i did some more looking and that species of xanthid crab is predatory so you were right to take it out of the tank. too bad it got at your fish.:-/