Found a Mantis Shrimp in my reef!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by marlinman, Dec 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. john1948

john1948 Feather Duster

Mantis Shrimp

Predators include Bird Wrasses or large Dottybacks. However, you do risk other crustaceans being eaten. You can also try this method: Identify the rock the shrimp lives in, remove the rock from the tank, place the rock into a bucket of aquarium water and extract the shrimp from the hole it lives in by poking a skewer, flexible pipe, or strong wire into the hole forcing the shrimp to come out (usually it emerges from another hole). Alternatively, put the rock in a bucket of aquarium water and bubble carbon dioxide into the water or pour carbonated mineral water into the hole. Either technique should encourage the shrimp to leave its lair. Good Luck!

john1948

2. Click Here!

3. swagger87

swagger87 Zoanthid

Echo?:confused:

4. mario8402

mario8402 Fire Shrimp

put this in his hole
    [​IMG]

5. JayTropical

JayTropical Purple Spiny Lobster

id love to find a mantis in my tank!!

all i got was a bristtle worm..

6. wilko82

wilko82 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i think marlinman will try all of your ideas before resorting to killing it he did ask for constructive ideas and there is some sound advice being given

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I'm still thinking about what to do.:-/ I do have a lot of Florida aquacultured rock in my tank being the fact that it's easier to find in South Florida. Just for information purposes, the Florida aquacultured rock that I get is rocks that have been put in the Gulf of Mexico on the west coast of Florida. They leave them in the water for one year or so and they get tons of coraline on them and live plants and shells and also hitch-hikers which I wasn't aware of when I purchased them. There is no way that I can see which rock the mantis shrimp is in at this moment so that idea is no good. Getting a big Dottyback is a tricky option with my other shrimp so that's not going to be good. I guess eventually I have to do something as I'm hearing him banging a shell up against the glass as I speak. I'll do something soon. I'm scared right now, you have no idea how this sounds. He's killing a hermit while I listen.:cry:

8. Click Here!

9. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel