FOTM November 2010 - Achilles Tang

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by RedGambit, Nov 1, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Achilles Tang

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Family: Acanthuridae
    Genus: Acanthurus
    Species: Achilles
    Common Names: Achilles Tang, Red-Tailed Surgeon, Achilles Surgeonfish
    Reef Safe: Yes
    Maximum Fish Size: 9 inches

Min Tank Size: 100 gallons plus recommended
    -Note-
    1-4.5 inches - 100-180 gallons
    5-9 inches - 180 gallons plus

This is my personal recommendation for this species of fish.

Attitude: Peaceful disposition towards tank mates. However, will be more hostile towards new additions and fish of the same family. Particularly its own genus and species.

Diet: Herbivore, like all tangs. However, they will accept meaty foods if given to them. This however should not make up more then 10% of the diet. Offer plenty of freeze dried seaweed or macro algae to satisfy the grazing habits of this fish.

Origin: Hawaii

Care: When considering an Achilles tang for your tank, make sure the length of the tank is at least four feet long. (Ideally six to eight feet or more) These fish love to swim and need quite a bit of space to do so. Also offer caves and various hiding spots for the fish to go if scared.

Maturity of the tank and stability are the next things to consider. I would not advise putting one of these fish in a tank that has not matured. As they are very sensitive to changes in levels. This fish has a very high metabolism. It needs to be offered food multiple times a day and lots of dried seaweed or fresh macro for it to graze on through out the day along with other feedings of small bits of meaty foods and other nutritious foods. Doing so will make sure the fishes health stays in good condition and it doesn't develop diseases such as HLLE.

Compatibility: Compatible with plenty of fish. Those with a peaceful disposition and a bolder swimming characteristics work best for the Achilles Tang.

Personal Observations: An amazing Tang for those with a larger system and the time and effort put into this fish is rewarding. Once acclimated to the tank they become quite hardy actually. I have noticed that the fish does not take well to high doses of medications. Copper in specific.

The fish are big eaters regardless of size. Keep them fed! It makes the keeping of the fish a lot easier. Feedings I suggest with this fish is one Sheet of Nori (Dried Seaweed/ 5"x5") per day and alternate additional small feedings of Mysis, Krill and other meaty bits. Flakes and pellets if accepted. The additional feedings I would do 3 times a day. Also soaking their foods in vitamins does help them quite a bit get their nutritional keep for the day. Try keeping the tank under 80 degrees. It slows the fishes metabolism down and feedings don't have to be as much. The hotter it is the more the fish become active hence needing more food.

The fish is a show stopper! and probably the most talked about fish when people are over. I am quite rewarded for the hard work with this fish. If you try one and put in the effort and time! You will be too.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2011
    9 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

great write up Red Gambit

great looking fish you have there

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

gorgeous fish! one of my favorites :)

thanks Eric!

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Wonderful write up Eric. And gorgeous picture!! Thanks for sharing!!

1 person likes this.
  6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Really a stunning fish, and great picture of one.

Wonderful write up. A lot of valuable information !

1 person likes this.
  7. fhabercrombie

fhabercrombie Fire Shrimp

Awesome write up, Great info, didnt know about the temperature settings, but makes total sense now thanks!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Great write up, well done

1 person likes this.
  10. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

very nicely done! There's a gorgeous Achilles in the main tank of my LFS and now I can school them on it!

1 person likes this.
  11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Haha, Oh jeeze, I would hope that the LFS has some knowledge of the fish and care! Cause you never know if your stock will sell or not and you don't want to loose it in the process!

Thanks everyone for the kind thoughts! +K to all.

12. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hehe I kid, I kid, they are very knowledgable, but I always see it and it's nice to know more about it myself. It's in a huge tank maybe 300g, and it's soooo frickin' awesome looking.