FOTM - December 2009 -Radiant Wrasse

Discussion in 'Fish of the Month' started by steve wright, Dec 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

[​IMG]

Family: Labridae
    Genus: ha
    lichoeres
    Species: Iridis
    Common names: Radiant Wrasse, Iridis wrasse ,
    Orange head wrasse
    Reef Safe: yes with corals but will consume small inverts, tube worms .
    also known to eat pyramid snails which is a bonus.
    Max. fish size: 4 – 5 inches

Min tank size: 50 gallons recommended

Attitude: a very peaceful fish that needs the company of other peaceful fish , active swimmer. Can be a finicky feeder so make sure you see it feeding before purchase.

Diet: carnivore , small inverts, shrimps, amphipods, copepods, - My experience thus far is it will eat anything and everything, frozen, pellets, flakes, cycopeeze, freeze dried shrimp etc.

Origin: East Africa

Care: needs at least a couple of cm sand substrate. This fish dives into the sand to rest for the night and also if anything disturbs the tank such as tank maintenance . This fish will not do well with a CC substrate

Compatibility: these fish are peaceful and unlike other wrasse species will tolerate their own kind in same tank

Personal observations: one of the bravest fish I have ever kept, fed within 60 seconds of coming out the bag and is front and centre, constantly browsing for amphipods off the rocks and sand bed. Nice colours, especially the facial markings. Reef safe as far as corals etc are concerned and they have plenty of character.

Steve​

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

well done steve. im a big wrasse fan. some of the best coloration of all the fish

1 person likes this.
  4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Nice write up. Very pretty wrasse as well. I've been wanting to replace my 6 line with one that looks more exotic, this could fit the bill. I just really don't want to place a cover on my tank.

Ever have to tell someone to stop staring at your wrasse? :)

1 person likes this.
  5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

My radiant wrasse is my favorite fish.

IME though, they don't eat featherdusters at all. Also not noted is that radiant wrasses, as well as all Halichoeres wrasses eat flatworms, which makes them a great addition to any reef tank, combined with their pyramellid snail consumption even makes them better.

Please note that due to their region of collection, that these are not an easy fish to acquire. Wars and fighting take precedence over fish collection. ;)

For a large radiant, expect to pay at least $80.

Here is my radiant that is just over 4" long
    BTW, these are very difficult to get a clear picture of since they move so fast.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.