for those experienced and possible traveling reefers I need advice

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Bob F, Nov 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Please provide suggestions,
    I have just been told that I was selected to go on a special project that require me to be away from home for up to a year. I am hoping that I will be able to get back every 2 to 3 weeks for a weekend but could be longer. I really need your suggestions to how best to keep my tank in good condition while I am away. My wife and daughter can feed fish on a regular basis and I can do my best on instructing them to what to look out for like water level, temp, etc. But you know when you don't live and breath this hobby things go quickly unnoticed. I am thinking about should I get one of those fancy controllers (Apex, or one of the ones that Mat has highlighted soon to be released) but I am afraid I will not learn or get the knowledge on how to use quick enough before I go away in early January. Let me best describe my system
    70 gal DT
    30 gal sump In the sump is a fuge (cheato), protien skimmer, phosban reactor
    I have an ATO set up (potential area of concern)
    I currently dripping Kalk (potential area of concern)

As noted above my two biggest worries are properly checking the water level and ATO working properly. It sometimes needs a shake and restart and I know they will no be able to handle the kalk drip on a contant basis since I am constantly adjusting the drip rate.

So besides the full blown controller which maybe ca monitor from a phone or computer which not sure I should start so late or should I just get a good doser to drip two part? I would like a camrea to watch the system,that would be cool.

I have 6 small fish some softies and some LPS (open brain, galexea, duncan), RBTA I was getting ready for SPS but obviousley I will not start that until I return.

Please provide some guidance, thank yo all for your experiences

protien skimmer

2. Click Here!

3. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Bob,

First, a internet accessable controller is a MUST. this allows you to check params and make adjustments. to actually see the temp, ph and other reporting is INVALUABLE. Secondly a webcam would be good to so you can visually see the system. I would also look at a Doser for the kalk. makes it beter since you can kick on a stir pump with the controller and then dose the kalk.

I travel regularly for a week or so at a time. having a Very simple system (used to be complicated) makes it easier for the family to just put food in and change out the ATO container with a full one.

4. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thank you what type / brand controller would be best for my situation? Can they quickly be learned?. I think I am a fairly inteligent person (my wife would say otherwise lol)

5. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

For everything that you are looking to accomplish I think APEX is going to be your best bet

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Not to be harsh at all here, but I see four immediate steps.

1) Get an Apex right away and start working on setup. You'll need a couple weeks to get it together, and you really want 30 days after that of watching it to ensure it does what you want/need it to. Neptune has their own forum with a lot of expertise; you can find a lot of help quickly there for setup issues. If you've ever done any basic programming (if/then statements, or do/else loops), you'll find it pretty darn easy to setup. Get a webcam too.

2) Ditch the kalk drip and either go the doser/stirrer route for kalk, or switch to two part dosing with a doser for each. Mach sure this is on your controller, so you can monitor/adjust it while away if/when needed.

3) Make friends with an experienced/good/trusted local reefing buddy. Use his/her favorite beverage as leverage. :)

4) Pray.

There's a good chance you can come out with a living reef on the other side, with the planning you've set in motion.

CBSurfrider, mdbostwick and OnlyTono like this.
  7. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

All good advice.

I would also suggest a backup plan. If something goes wrong... who does your family need to call to get it fixed ASAP?

Some local tank maintenance companies will do On Call type service for emergencies..... if you can find a reputable and trusted one.

8. Click Here!

9. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Thank you all. Now looking at those controllers. Since I have only been in hobby for little over a year and been busy I did not get chance to get involved in any local clubs and kind of on my own except for all you wonderful people helping online. I will try to contact some local maintenance tank places for a back up.

10. TheClark

TheClark Plankton

I totally agree Bob F, things can go south so fast.

+1 on web cam, it is invaluable. Amazon has them for around 50 bucks with pan and tilt. Mount it somewhere you can see what you would normally check. The other cool thing is it will help talk through a situation if you need help.

+1 on trusted reef buddy, that is invaluable knowing you can talk to someone who knows what a doser is, or if the ATO is working. A great thing to have for backup.

APEX is awesome, but as evolve mentioned, you want it going now. A big mistake people make is setting up new automation right before a trip and then finding out the automation had flaws.

Well good luck, it is achievable but sounds very challenging!!

11. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

you are all scaring me!!!!! Plus my wife is already not too happy with the cost of that controller. I am getting dizzy with all the attachments and probe possibilities. Maybe give me a suggestion on the must haves with it? Obviousely temp, PH. Do you think I really need salinity given my ATO kept stable and what about leak detection? I know you will probably say the most I can get will be best but there has to be some "musts". Urg, I am getting nauseous!!!!

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

You don't need a salinity probe.

For now, just get the full controller and a pH probe.

You can always add things later, but there's really no need right now.