for the newbies to salt water

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by karlas, Jul 21, 2002.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

for anybody wanting to start a salt tank that has no clue where to start i wanted to list these web sites for beginners they may even be helpful to the people that are not beginners

starting marines

starting marines

reef keeping 101

http://www.reefcorner.com/reef keeping_101.htm

creating, maintaining, understanding the reef tank

http://www.expat.or.id/info/aquarium.html

live rock faqs

http://sps.reefkeepers.org/LiveRockFAQ.htm

deep sand bed faqs

http://www.reefkeepers.org/faq/cache/33.html

some of the links were changed so i found updates for them also im adding another excellent one to the list

Saltwater guide 2002

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Great links Karla!
    Should be very helpful.

:thumbsup2:

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

5. brownd1

brownd1 Plankton

:Thanks Karla

for the web sites

This will no doubt help me with setting up my first reef tank

6. brownd1

brownd1 Plankton

ouch

sorry Karlas

7. Guest

Guest Guest

please help, been having a tank set up for about 8 months now! 30 gal, 40 lbs LR, 2.5" of LS, Aqua Medic Protein Skimmer, plus a Marine land w/Bio wheel set-up with carbon filter! been keeping crabs, snails and I have a coral bandit shrimp and WRASSE. They all been doing great, but I want to add a yellow tang, problem is I lost the last two added. Ok I must say the first was very small in size and LFS took some time chasing it down, It was on sale so I took a chance at it, but it died the next day. I do weekly 10% changes, tested everything I could even had it checked at the LFS and they couldn't find anything wrong with the water. So I purchased another, this one looked healthier and was doing great for two days then droped off quickly, I ran more test but all looked good, so I did a water change, but the next day he was out. What can I do? This fish seemed to get along with the Warsse great, but the shrimp did peck at it once or twice at first, but the tang seemed to let him. I'm wondering if the LFS is getting cheap fish, maybe cynide caught fish, but they don't know. The other critters came from a fish only store, where as this one has mostly freash water fish! can someone help? thanks in advance!
    scott

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hard to say Scott. SOunds like you think your lfs has bad fish. Do you have other options for fish? If you stick to that store, have them hold it for you a week or two and get them to feed it when you are there.

Tangs get large and need a lot of running room, a 30 is kinda small. A lot of people will give you crap for that. I hope you will get a bigger tank down the road if you get another one. ;)

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i would suggest that also ask them to keep the fish for a little while and ask them to see it eat before picking the fish up. also how is the water at the lfs is there a big change in salt maby between your tank and theres? i agree highly with matt if you end up with a yellow tang you will need a much bigger tank down the road they are big swimmers and need the room and will not survive in a 30 when full grown

11. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

just a note updated original post

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Tangs need a minimum of 48" of lateral swim room and some can reach 15" - 16" in a large enough aquarium. I've had great success with Convict, Kole, and Sailfin Tangs in my 48" 80 gallon tank.

:) ;) :D ;D 8) [smiley=angel.gif]