For the Best results (Posting Suggestions)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Jason McKenzie, Feb 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Posting on 3Reef.

I'm amazed at the amount of positive and informative people that have gathered here on 3Reef. We have a vast knowledge base here and a great bunch of people. It is important that we do not lose these people or discourage them from posting. We have an increased number of new people to reef keeping with a lot of great questions.

Not trying to sound like an elitist snob (I'm anything but that), here are some guide lines to eliminate the frustration of those responding to the questions.
    These are not meant to intimidate anyone.

No posts will ever be removed. If someone asks you what the water test results are (Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, Calcium, Alk, PH, SG, Temp, Phosphate)
    You should find out. This is the only way an Aquariest can accurately diagnose a problem. Water chemistry is essential during all stages of a Reef aquarium.
    Testing needs to be done from the first minute salt hits water and continue as log as you own your tank. I simple log book to record your test results is a must..
    On line forums are the fastest and easiest way to find information, but relying on opinions of amateur aquariasts is only 1/2 of the answers.

Many of the people that help us out daily have read numerous books and articles on reef keeping. Reading is the best way to contribute to the community at 3Reef.

Try to keep to one subject per thread. A great deal of good information ends up lost in an obscure thread because the thread was taken off topic.

Feel free to open as many topics as you have questions and always be respectful of everyone's time and effort.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

[smiley=first.gif]

thats a good one [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif]

5. Jason McKenzie

Hey Veets try posting in the "Newbie" forum. I'm sure you will get a lot more replies

J

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

very true...i hope i can stay to code SIR! (SALUTES)

7. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Free software

Infinity software has a program called reefcon. It keeps track of water parameters, tank maintenance, livestock and more. Just search reefcon and it will come up. Not too bad for free

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

great "trying it again" I am definitely going to try that. Jason... a couple of questions. One is what does "bump" mean. And the other is what does &quot(something)&quot mean? I've seen both of those things a few times and they are not in the glossary. Thanks

10. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Bump is something you do to a thread to get it back to the front page again. A lot of times, new posts will push important topics down the list and off the page. Rather than make the thread "sticky" where it stays at the top of the first page always, you may just simply repost in the thread which bumps it up to the top again.

11. Covey

Covey Scooter Blennie

Its a typo basically or a formatting error. Some of them came up when Matt switched software and sometimes people just type it wrong. They where after "something". It makes some of the older threads hard to read.

12. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

AHA-- Thank you very much for the info. I was just recalling Jason's words up above about staying on topic within a thread.. I hope I didn't stray too far with my questions. LOL THanks again guys