for all you doubters

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by evojoe67, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

i have been part of this forum, for some time now. i have to say, i love all you guys/gals, and appreciate all your advice, and comments.
    however, i must say, that while i certainly do not know much about this hobby, some of the advice from the so called,"experts", does'nt hold much water(no pun intended).
    i want to make sure i state that i am by no means disrespecting anyone on this site. i believe that all of the advice given, was given as what that person truely believed to be true, about the questions i've been asking.
    that being said, i've let it be known that i have been, over the course of the past month, setting up a 96gal, FOWLR, aquarium.
    i also stated that i was going to add a voltains lion, fu man chu lion, niger trigger, and a luna wrasse. i was going to add an emperor angel to the mix, as i already had this fish, but it has since past away.
    i was told , by many, that i was crazy for putting these fish together, as they would battle for territory, and be too much for that size tank to handle.
    i was also told that i should add only one fish per month, and even told by one person, one a year!
    i am happy to inform you that all 4 fish are currently residing in the new tank, with zero ammonia/nitrates, and the rest of the perameters are all in great operating range.this has been the case for the past 2 weeks.
    now a little about the equiptment i run:
    in my 20gal refugium,i run a phosband reactor,uv steralizer,and protein skimmer. i use nitrex, chemi pure, and sponge, in my custom made filter box. i also have a hydro koralia #4, to aid with flow.there is about 70lbs of live rock, along with 40lbs, of live sand.
    i would just like to go on record and say, that there are no certainties, when it comes to this hobby(as some of you have stated).everything is from either personal experience, or word of mouth.filtration setups have advanced so much, since i used to run my fresh water tanks, back in the day. so while some of you have you strong beliefs, i suggest trying to keep an open mind, and maybe, just maybe, someone else might have built a better mouse trap, then the ones we've been using for years. thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents. happy fish keeping!

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Afterdark230

Afterdark230 Flamingo Tongue

I dont think your crazy, I think you are lucky, sometimes fish can get along with others that they are not suppose to but again you took a chance and its working for you. I read these forums and others out there and I take in all I can to make a semi educated decision on how I want to go. remember this is a place for collected experiences and knowledge and the experiences have been that those fish don't go normally together but does not mean that it can't happen. I am glad to hear that it is working and keep us updated on how things are going!

Very much a newbie!
    Matt

1 person likes this.
  4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

5. evojoe67

this was my reef tank, not the one i wrote about. the emperor died because he was stressed from the move, as he came from the 96 gallon, and the cole tang was purchased with a disease, already, as i found out later.it was of no error on my part that these fish died. i guess i should correct that statement, the error was that i should have QT'D the cole tang, and stuck with buying fish from my normal LFS.
    we all experience problems in our tanks, no matter how long we've been in this hobby. i can't really see your point, as to "if i had looked into it, and taken some advice". what advice are you incinuating i did'nt take?
    i did everything i could to save my emperor, the others, well, i don't really have a definitive answer for thier demise. i guess it just goes, that fish, like people die. sometimes it just happens.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I don't want to sound like a doubter but 2 weeks does not a success story make. I wish you great success and if you're still doing well with all these fish in 6 months to a year, I'll gladly eat crow :D

1 person likes this.
  7. evojoe67

i knew that was going to be said(2 weeks ), but i am confident in my filtration, and will gladly, and honestly keep you guys posted as to what happens.
    thanks for the well wishes.

8. Click Here!

9. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I like to take the position that there are few generalities in this hobby, what works for one may not work for another. I agree with you on this, there are so many factors that can affect the outcome and success of a tank that it is impossible to say this is what will happen every time. However, I also trust the first hand experience that 3reef has allowed my to gather. I am brand new to this hobby experience wise and 3reef has given me so much more knowledge. I trust the experience that these reefers have obtained and am glad that they have been so friendly and willing to help. I really do hope your tank succeeds. It sounds like it is on its way, but walk on the unworn path softly, I have read many, many posts that say 'help asap' and that they woke up one morning to find a missing fish or a dead or dying animal. Good luck!

10. evojoe67

hey matt, welcome aboard.:cheesy:
    if you check into it, like i did, you would see that these fish are compatible. i always try and research, before i stock.

11. evojoe67

agreed. i guess time will tell.
    i love, and respect you all. without you guys/gals, i would be so lonely:cry:

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Well said Matt. I also think the same as Matt and Amcarring. Only time will tell, I do wish the best for you and your tank mates. Also remember that what works for one, doesnt work for everyone, same goes with past exp's. Luna