FOOD: Tell us what you feed. What are your recipes?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Monacle, Aug 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

I am interested in hearing what you all feed your fish/corals

Here's what I do:

1) I buy the brine shrimp in the cubes
    2) I buy the mysis shrimp in the cubes

3)I shop at a grocery store and buy:(all uncooked, important, I hear cooked loses its nutritional value) spirulina powder, bay scallop, rock shrimp, calamari tentacle, oyster, clam, and sometimes there are other things there and sometimes they don't have the tentacle, but that's pretty much it. I put in the blender, add about 2 cups of water, blend real well, put into zip lock bags, remove the air, and freeze.

Then I feed once brine, once mysis and once my concoction each day. 3 feedings is probably too much for most people, but I am trying to run a breeding operation and I feed alot.

So, tell us what and how you do what you do. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I feed my 46 gallon sps hex tank a variety of foods including flakes, DT's oyster eggs, phytoplankton and, thanks to a donation from Gresham, rotifers and copepods from Reef Nutrition. I tend to feed every other day with the corals sometimes getting an additional feeding when the lights in the aquarium are out.

4. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

I use the concoction method, i blend up formula 1 & 2, cyclopees, silversides, mysis, brine and krill. same ziploc baggy method and feed once a day.

I will also spot feed my Sun coral mysis, brine and krill while the fish are swarming the concoction. I find it hard to feed my sun coral for my fish just follow the feeder tube everywhere and the coral is to big to hide under a 2 liter bottle. Any suggestion would be great.

In my 12gal nano i only feed Nutrafin Max.

5. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

Flake food, forumula II and occasional fresh shrimp bit suprise. I'd like to try culturing greenwater and rotifers sometime soon.

6. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

Fish get fed Formula 2 by Reef Nutrition on a regular basis, but some corals often get the leftovers hovering around, especially my bubble coral.

When I feed my corals, I mix cyclops sp. a package called "reef nutrition mix" with plankton and other micro species, brine shrimp, silversides and squid. I have krill but no one seems to like it. I defrost all of it together and mix it with liquid phytoplankton from Kent Marine for extra flavor and nutrition. I'm looking into garlic and marine-c, then I'll add that to the special mix. Looks like the mix works cuz I just noticed a baby polyp on my rainbow acan yesterday. ;D

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Fish get brine and or reef prime frozen. Coral get Bio-Plankton and Marine-Plankton. Somtimes i let the fish food soak in selcon or garlic stuff.

8. Click Here!

9. Monacle

Monacle Skunk Shrimp

Congrats Rickzter!!

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Ooops, you meant Ocean Nutrition, the makers of the Formula series of frozen and flake food. I think the package you use is also called Reef Mix IIRC, but I could be mistaken. Been a while since I've cruzed the freezer section at a LFS :D

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Roti-Feast (rotifers) and Arcti-Pods (arctic marine copepods) :D

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

That stuff is the shizznit Gresh! Sorry...I am sooo not hip so if shizznit is outdated, oh well :)

The critters in my nano (pistol shrimp, clown goby and emerald crab) eat the Roti-Feast and Acti-Pods like they're going out of style and the corals and critters in the sps tank can't get enough of the stuff too. I can't thank you enough..it's good stuff.